vacuum bag + heat blanket

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jlutz05

vacuum bag + heat blanket

Post by jlutz05 »

Im going to be using a vac bag to press my skis, but as of now I dont have a heat source planned. has anybody used a heat blanket or any other setup with vac bag. also what is the price range for heat blankets?
davide

Post by davide »

You do not need a heat source. Room temperature curing works well.
hafte

Post by hafte »

Hi, Davide is right you don't need to use a heat sorce unless like me you do most of your layups in the fall. I use a couple of small space heaters and a large box as a makeshift oven. The epoxies I use also like a heated post cure of ~120 Deg F for several hours. For the post cure I kick on the heat lamps. Aluminum foil is used as a reflector (thanks G-man) inside the box to keep the box from getting too hot.

I have also used the space heaters and a large plastic bag made form 6 mil sheet plactic. Just make a tent around the form and point the space heaters into the bag.

The problem with all of this is you do have to monitor the temps and make adjustments manually.

Hafte
sammer

Post by sammer »

My basement shop is always cold, so i found a cheap electric blanket ($3 at the salvation army store.)
With a couple bats of insulation on top gets to about 130f on high.
Seemed to work fine. (we'll see how the skis hold up this winter)
Let your epoxy cure for a few + hours before turning it on so your core doesn't off gas (bubbles).

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)