Lib tech, partial edges..how?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

SHIF does a lot with polycarbonate and gets great results. I wonder whether you could cut a flat template, heat the carbonate in an oven and then press it to the shape of the tip you want to cut. Once you have a template, say 5mm thick, you can use a router flush trim bit?

Maybe SHIF has tried this?
Last edited by Richuk on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Richuk wrote:...Maybe SHIF has tried this?
I simply used ¼” polycarbonate material to make some router templates, male and female, used to cut both the ski core and tip filler with. I only chose polycarbonate because it is machines well and is transparent. Being able to see through the template makes it easy to align on the ski core. Back when I made these I had access to CNC milling equipment.

Now I make tip filler templates from ¼” MDF. I hand-shape the male half and rough-cut the female half. Then I put the halves together and cast epoxy into the rough cut gap in the female half. This is an easy method to create matching router templates. These fit tightly together like a jigsaw puzzle piece. I posted some pix on my photo album. Hit my www link.

As for heat forming plastic over the tips of skis as a technique to copy their shape (I think this is what Richuk is trying to describe), this seems like too much work. Besides, polycarb is not the best plastic for heat forming. I think ABS or acrylic would work much better.

-S
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

You guys are exactly on to what i'm thinking. I'll hopefully get to this within the week, so I'll let you know what i come up with.