Section8 2011-2012

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Quick update - Another slight delay. I used double stick tape to fasten the base material to the template. Routed the bases, applied edges and left attached to the template until I was ready to press. I took the bases off the template and the double sided tape stuck to the bases. Really stuck! Spent 45 minutes scraping off the tape, the full length of the base. On a good note the bases are perfectly symmetrical. Maybe next time I'll use small amount of tape instead of the entire length. It's always something.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Yup, I think I've warned of this before 8)

I use 3 pieces about 1" square.
takes a couple seconds to remove with a razor scraper.
I used to use acetone to remove the glue residue after.
Now we all know better!

It is always something.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

[quote="sammer"]Yup, I think I've warned of this before 8) ....../quote]

Guess I was absent that day (ugh)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Perm peel tape dude!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Richuk wrote:Perm peel tape dude!
ya, that's my next purchase. I'll save the double stick tape for a loose tooth or something :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Penguin - The skis were pressed. I let them sit for a few days after pressing. Overall they look good. I wish I would have put a white cloth under the penguin cloth. I'll post pics later and you'll see why. The ash tip spacers came out nice. I'll be doing the finish sanding etc tonight. I'm going to use LPU (linear Poly-U) for the first time. I still have to order it an test it out. So the skis won't be done for awhile. In the mean time I have some other skis started....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Woodies - My second attempt at making an all wood ski. The layup will be as follows:

Ptex base
metal edges
VDS
1.5mm poplar veneer (1/16in)
wood core - ash core, maple and cherry sidewalls, 3-10-3.
1.5mm poplar veneer (1/16in)
3mm ash tip spacers
Top sheet is Teak veneer, recycled - The veneer has very straight line grain varying from light tan to black because of the way it's made. I may stain the veneer lightly with black or a dark stain but still allow the grain to show.

Ski dims are 178cm, 130-86-116

The wood core has ash 70mm wide down the center. I alternated thin strips of maple and cheery for the sidewalls so when I shape the ski I see the alternating wood color. I'm hoping it will look as good when I'm done as it does in my head.

The skis will be used mostly for fresh snow days. There won't be any damping materials added. So I'm sure they'll chatter some on ice.
Last edited by skidesmond on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Des, just a heads up, white cotton wets out and drys almost clear.
Clearer than triax.
If your planning on using it to back flood you'll just be adding weight.
Most pale fabrics go translucent from what I've seen.
I like the translucent look so you can kinda see the core and construction.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks Sam, never thought of that. I was thinking it would provide a whiter background. Always learning.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Woodies- I got up early this morning and press the all wood skis. The core ended up being 3-11-3. I put a dark walnut stain on the top sheet. The alternating cherry and maple sidewall didn't come out exactly like I thought. The ski doesn't have enough side cut to have gone through all the layers and show the striations. Each side wall strip was about 1/4 in and there are 6 strips on each side. It was a PITA doing the glue up. The Ash tip spacers made a decent fit. I think I'll keep using them instead of trying to make the core all 1 piece. The planer isn't accurate enough and I get too much sniping and tear out when it gets that thin. The skis feel a little bit soft compared to others I've made but probably about avg.

Also added anti slip tape to the planer crib. It works good. I was using hot glue which also worked good but getting the core off was a bit tricky some times.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I like pictures :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
OAC

Post by OAC »

I like pictures too :)
skidesmond wrote: Also added anti slip tape to the planer crib. It works good. I was using hot glue which also worked good but getting the core off was a bit tricky some times.
I have sandpaper glued to the whole surface of my planer crib(s). When I used tape strips I got unwanted measures on the core, small but anyway. You know how it can be. :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Here's pics of the AllWood ski. They're still in the rough cut phase, need to be finished (ie sides beveled, sanded, top coast etc)

Out of the press

Separated after birth :)

Striations (little disappointed but...)

Joint of core and ash tip spacers:

Hopefully they'll be done by the end of the week.

Also the Penguin skis are almost done. Need a good base cleaning, minor touch sanding etc, top coat

The ash tip spacers provided a nice white background for the cotton fabric. I wish I would have known that before and I would have used ash or maple core instead of fir and cherry sidewalls:

Joint of core and tip spacers:

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

you can paint the top of the core with white water based acrylic paint to provide a white background for your cotton graphics. works fine and is easy to achieve.
murchonn and i have used acrylic paint successfully in the past.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Love the Penguins - both sets look great!

What were you looking for with the sidewalls? I'm not sure I quite understand :?