are stiffer skis harder on the body?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Almost exactly how I tore mine. (back seat landing).
I got it replaced, took a year of physical therapy and good as new. I am way more conscious of taking risks now though.
~ Matt
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Were you able to make it to the bottom on your own?
petemorgan(pmoskico)

Post by petemorgan(pmoskico) »

No I wasn't able to make it down by myself.

I called my ski partner to come down and take my ski off (I wouldnt have expected any binding to release because I wasnt applying any sideways force) I then put the ski back on and went to turn and my knee buckled. Skiing 1 ski was not possible, it was too deep and we were still like 3000 feet from the base. I tried to start walking but I was post holing to my waist and my knee was killing, still buckling. so we called ski patrol. And my friend megan answered "is this Pete? dded you guys are gonna need a taboggon" and that was a big relief.

I mostly ski backcountry but this happened while skiing in bounds.
It was a reality check. I woulda been up shits creek without help.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, you were lucky it happened in bounds.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Sorry about your injury.
Perhaps this will propt you to reevaluate everything.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
holmtech

Post by holmtech »

pmoskico I think I might have ridden the upper chair at Alpental with you last year as I was just gearing up to build some skis. Your ski with the cloth top sheet from your photos looks familiar.

Bummer about your ACL. My guess is that you've already got a doctor at this point. If not, Dr. Roger Larson at the UW is the man. He repaired my ACL and does any of the knee injuries for the UW athletes. You'll be tearing it up again in no time...

And 5mm does seem thick for the ends. To add a little to the thread, I have a pair of Bluehouse Radius 35ish meter radius, thick bamboo core under foot, two layers of top fiberglass under the binding area. They are super stiff in the mid area, and in an area you can open them up, the faster you ski them, the more stable (and fun) they are. In tighter areas they work me like crazy. But the last 6 inches of them are softer like a normal ski. I think having some flex at the ends provides some forgiveness, while the majority of the middle of the ski being stiff gives the stability. My 2 cents.