Error

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

My Press Frame is Rusty. Re-painting it. What Color?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Black
71%
White
No votes
Blue
29%

Total votes: 7

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote: Bench drill / drill press
dont why i needed this one. but i bought it
In my opinion, a drill press is one of, if not the, most useful tools in a shop. Wise purchase.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

what do you use it for?

Here the pics i promised.

heres my new drill press

this is how you change speeds. i wish i just had a switch.

Heres my NEW none ghetto bench saw

need a different blade for it it split almost everthing likee crazy

here are some pics about my adjustable mold assembly

Here are some pics on how it works. extremely basic idea but it works well... so far

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Gotta love that MDF dust! Looks good so far. Looks like the Cav got covered.

Were you doing cross cuts when the wood was splitting. Was the MDF splitting? If you're cross cutting and the MDF is splitting could be because the MDF not held tight against the miter and causing added pressure against the blade. Another way to help prevent splitting is to have a sacrifical board against the miter and then place your MDF/board against that. That helps prevent tear out. Hope this helps.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

skidesmond wrote:Gotta love that MDF dust! Looks good so far. Looks like the Cav got covered.

Were you doing cross cuts when the wood was splitting. Was the MDF splitting? If you're cross cutting and the MDF is splitting could be because the MDF not held tight against the miter and causing added pressure against the blade. Another way to help prevent splitting is to have a sacrifical board against the miter and then place your MDF/board against that. That helps prevent tear out. Hope this helps.
I HATE working with mdf. so much.

theres gotta be a better solution.

:) :) :)

but i think it was splitting the the mdf beause of two reasons.

1. the blade is kinda loose. the bolt is as tight as it goes.

2. not enough teeth on the blade. you know how on jig saws it shows rough cut and then smooth cut. well i think it the exact same idea for a circular blade.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

HHmmm... A better quality blade may help that. The blade should bolt on tight. Also when cutting go slow and evenly. Sometimes vibration can cause a blade to wobble a bit. I use 10 inch 60 tooth Freud Diablo blade designed to minimize vibration.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

so ends up i have to make a planing crib.

few things. i already have assorted half inch mdf
and my only inquiry is if i can use the half mdf for the crib with it not flexing?

im making it like most people. base, shims, counter sunk and screwed down top.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

a.badner wrote: and my only inquiry is if i can use the half mdf for the crib with it not flexing?
Didn't work for me. Depends on the planer maybe.

You should have the crib cnced cheap.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote:what do you use it for?
I use my drill press for drilling holes, duh ;) But seriously, I use it every single damn day, such a useful tool. Looks like you got a good one too, floor models give you a little more working space, but its rare that you need more than what you can get from a benchtop one. Almost all drill presses use pulleys to change speed, it only takes about 2 seconds to change speeds so there's no need for a switch.

Looks like you're making good progress! Your press frame still makes me uneasy. Those tiny bars for the ends are not going to cut it, shit will explode.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

twizzstyle wrote:
a.badner wrote:what do you use it for?
. Those tiny bars for the ends are not going to cut it, shit will explode.
Yeah and angle supporting the span? Shit will just crush itself.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

i dont think so.
the angle irons used to put the press together are 3mm thick steel.
i am using supports from keeping it from deflecting. and as for the side bars. the not REALLY needed THAT much. if i am using vert supports one inch thick!, those side bars are basically there so it wont cave in.

:) :) :)

on a side note. started a planer crib today.two pieces of half inch mdf.
one centimeter tall shims.

my profile

2mm-12mm-2mm

and to reduce any flexing as much as possible, i'm looking forthe bubbling insulation foam and im going to put that in any free space in between the two boards.

most likely grip taping it or screwing in screws from the bottom so a little bit sticks out to hammer the core onto
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote:i dont think so.
3mm thick steel will bend like tin foil. Think your press could hold up your car? How about 20 of your car? Cause that's the level of force you are going to be dealing with.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

twizzstyle wrote:
a.badner wrote:i dont think so.
3mm thick steel will bend like tin foil. Think your press could hold up your car? How about 20 of your car? Cause that's the level of force you are going to be dealing with.
Listen to twizz. Have alex13 do the math. It will be cool to watch it eat itself, video from a distance please.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

You may have strengthened your press in ways we haven't seen yet and I'm sure you must have looked at this journal viewtopic.php?t=2472 ... in particular how the short lengths of angle iron used to reinforce the box section. The box section bent under the pressure and the short lengths of angle iron used is beginning to bend now too.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

two things,

im 99.99% sure its not going to bend. i did'nt use bolts to put it together.

every weld was refinforced twice, using high quality electrodes.
AND !, i am using one inch thick vertical supports. theres no way anything is deflecting here.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »