Balsa core fattys, first try!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

carlito

Balsa info...

Post by carlito »

Hello.

I am building myself a new powder specific snowboard (finally! one for me!). I started to snap some pictures of the process. Should I start posting them here, or in another part of the forum?

Layup: Base/edges; 12 oz +-45 degree biax carbon; 9 oz uni carbon; balsa core; 9 oz carbon; 12oz carbon is wrapped around core/uni like a burrito and overlapped on the top. prototype, so will probably skip topsheet. Anyone interested in seeing this? Where and how do i attach photos?

later, carlito
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I would love to see that!
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Get an account at www.photobucket.com or similar site. There's many of them. Post your pictures there. Then hot link the website pic url in your post. When you view the post, the pic appears automatically.

You should start a new post of your own build.
carlito

I'll be getting on it.

Post by carlito »

Ah. photobucket you say.

Ok so i will try to get this setup in the next few days and I will start a post in the journal section.

Been getting into the shop despite plague in the house with the kids and stuff. Core shaped/profiled including inserts/strengthening plates; base cut out and on the press; edges bent; sidewall dams in place; started lacing edges with kevlar yesterday and got shut down with domestic duties. hoping kids go to sleep, and I should get the lacing finished and fabrics cut tonight. layup tomorrow, unless this storm actually shows up, in which case, maybe tomorrow eve.

later, carlito
fa

Post by fa »

just finished a ski pair for my sister
160cm, 120/84/110
tip to tail poplar core 2-11-2, ash sidewalls
600gr gf, + some cf roving bottomside only
no topsheet, neither anykind of finish
skis felt quite light at the hand
I weighted them before routing the sidewalls:
one weigts 1092gr, the other is just 6gr heavier
skipping plastics -tipspacers, topsheet- and beeing stingy with the resin its an easy way to reduce weight
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

Ive been giving this a lot of thought to. But i came to that conclusion thats its not going to delaminate. I think the balsa wood is a realy underestimated wood just because of its low density.
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

HAHA, good