I'm new here, and want to build a press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

snowdevil

I'm new here, and want to build a press

Post by snowdevil »

I've been skiing for about 23 years or so, and have been dreaming of making skis for some time now. Stumbled apon this site, and the light bulb went off in me brain. Started looking for metal today (I-beams in particular). Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, on a good design for a press, or plans. I've been lurking around this form reading everything, and thought I would post. I want to be able to press 2 skis at a time. thanks from a boise boy
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

If you want to press two skis at a time, you should look at snowboard press designs. There is alot of good info here and at www.grafsnowboards.com check out their forum also.

Don't be in a hurry. Check out all the different presses. Read about the problems and successes of others, and then go for it.

[/url]
Idris

Post by Idris »

Try vacuum first, easy, low cost and 2 skis at a time is the same setup as 1.

You can setup a vacuum system from scratch in an hour or so......A pneumatic press gives you more forces to play with but costs lots and takes a long time to build.

If you decide to go further after your first pair or 2 then go pneumatic.
macdadmorgan

Post by macdadmorgan »

Idris wrote:Try vacuum first, easy, low cost and 2 skis at a time is the same setup as 1.

You can setup a vacuum system from scratch in an hour or so......A pneumatic press gives you more forces to play with but costs lots and takes a long time to build.

was that how the first bro models were made?
Idris

Post by Idris »

macdadmorgan wrote:
Idris wrote:Try vacuum first, easy, low cost and 2 skis at a time is the same setup as 1.

was that how the first bro models were made?
Nah.....mine are built with a vaccum press. The first Bro Models were built in a snowboard press......same as a ski press just wider.