marine varnish for topsheet

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bondar

marine varnish for topsheet

Post by bondar »

I want to use for topsheet a wooden veneer with polyurethane varnish (some use yacht builders). It’s a very hard, waterproof and frost-resisting (I held in -25C wet piece during 8 hours). But I don’t know about its behavior in shocks, vibration and strong bending. What do you think about?

thanks
bondar
endre

Post by endre »

I know that stuff is ued outside epoxy coating and epoxy paint to get a better uv-resistance. polyurethane is also very resistant to vibration damages (cracking etc.). polyurethane is commonly used as foam for cores and glue in woodcores. It is not as strong as epoxy though. I think you should try it and report on your results!
bondar

Post by bondar »

Yeah, endre

I worked with epoxy - it's a good thing, but i saw sometimes it lost a transparent (a sort of "milk" effect) after a frost. The next point - a varnish permit me to "polish" a surface (like a good furniture) almost without any grinding. I’ll try and then certainly I’ll write.

Thanks a lot for your advices
bondar
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

yeah definitely let us know how it goes with the wood finish. i think a lot of us are interested in wood topsheets. i have a huge sheet of birch veneer that's been sitting in my garage for a while now. just haven't gotten around to using it - for ski building anyway.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
davide

Post by davide »

I know they sell special epoxy and polyester resin (geal-coat, top-coat) for paiting boats and gliders: they contain a UV filter and are supposed to be scratch resistant. You can also add color paste.
bondar

Post by bondar »

I saw a few photos from Igneous - they exactly use not epoxy, but same varnish.
So i'll try and i'll tell you about my experiments. Thank you very much, guys

bondar