Core profiling without a core profiler?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hamradio

Core profiling without a core profiler?

Post by hamradio »

Hi,
I'm looking to make some cores for skiboards. They aren't exactly the biggest cores in the world, the cores of my current 85 cm skiboards must be like 70cm long, maybe a little longer. I don't really want to make a core profiler just for some skiboard cores. Could the cores be profiled with a hand plane, digital calipers, and sanding?
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

Hi,

I guess it really depends on the difference between the thiscness on the tip and tail and on the waist.
If the difference is not to high, you'll be able to use a sanding machine. I remember after having used a router to profile my cores, I used then a sander and manage to take out 1 more millimeter.
King_of_the_Hill

Post by King_of_the_Hill »

Another way to profile a core i guess is to use a millingmachine (CNC or handoperated). this will get a perfect result (tolerance with in 0.05of a mm. Only thing is where can you use a millingmachine, im lucky enough that i can use the one at my job.
Assumption is the base of all f*ck ups
mark

Re: Core profiling without a core profiler?

Post by mark »

hamradio wrote: Could the cores be profiled with a hand plane, digital calipers, and sanding?
Make sure your plane iron is sharp and you'll be amazed how fast you can remove material.

I use oil on micro-grit paper layed on glass. It's very easy to get a good edge this way.