Bondo?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MonkeyButt

Bondo?

Post by MonkeyButt »

Do any of you super smart engineer types know how Bondo would work in place of marine epoxy? I am having a hard time getting marine epoxy locally but there is a marine grade bondo which i could get fairly easily and cheaply. I however don't know if it would do the trick for i know little about bondo (all i know is that it is used in car/boat repair). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I would say no. Bondo is meant to be a filler and would make for a very heavy and not so strong ski. You want a fairly thin epoxy to soak into the fiberglass.

There are many places to get epoxy. West marine and some woodworking stores (rockler, woodcraft) will have epoxy. West systems and system three epoxy are pretty widely distributed. You can order West systems online through west marine.

try this place too:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/to ... .Adhesives
MonkeyButt

Post by MonkeyButt »

I didn't think so but thought it was worth a try :) Thanks for the info
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

hey monkeybutt. i like your login. anyway, i think Kelvin is right. but being the Curious George that i am, you could try the Bondo and see what happens. if anything, you can definitely say that it doesn't work, but it might cost you two front teeth... ;)