Electric planer

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gougouneux

Electric planer

Post by Gougouneux »

Hello.

I have just completed my first pair of skis, but among all the defaults I found, I think that the bumpy surface of my core was a major.

To make its base plan, I used the router method with straight rails but it seemed to me fastidious and not that accurate.

Thus, I was considering buying an electric planer to plan the core faster, and even profile it, as some of you are doing
The cheapest electric planer I found were about 200€ (350$). (example: link)

I guess these are not very robust nor precise, but would it be enough for ski building purposes?

Thanx for your advices!
plywood

Re: Electric planer

Post by plywood »

same over here - there are even cheaper ones on ebay for about 100 euro or so... just search for "dickenhobel", i think the supplier is from germany... i suppose they`d work for our purpose - the "professional" ones don`t look much more solid than the ones i found... at least you didn`t spend THAT much money as for a professional planer.... :D
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Gougouneux

Post by Gougouneux »

Thanx for the translation in German!
Do you have one of those "crappy Chinese machine"?
plywood

Post by plywood »

not so far yet. at the moment i`m a little under time pressure, so no time for skibuilding. but i`m pretty sure i`m going to buy such a thing from ebay.

so far i was pretty lucky with "crappy chinese" equipment! first of all it`s not always crappy - i`ve seen noname-routers that costed half the price of a professional one but were in fact the same model, different colour and no label on it ;)
i mean, some people say that this crappy equipment for hobbyists as we are doesn`t last as long as the machines built specially for professional use. this MAY be true, but as i`m not using this stuff 24/7 the abuse isn`t that big. furthermore, for example the planer: professional one = >650euros. crappy ebay planer = 150 euro... for the price of a professional one you could buy 4 crappy ones!
regarding accuracy: the only thing that possibly can go wrong with such a crappy planer is, that it doesn`t keep the cutting deep. but i think in this worst case you could easily build something to prevent this.

i`d just recommend you to order some spare blades with the planer, if you buy it from ebay - i suppose they might be hard to get, if not from the supplier of the machine.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!