What glue do you use for cores?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TexMurphy

What glue do you use for cores?

Post by TexMurphy »

As the title suggests.. what do you use to glue the cores?

Do you use standard wood glue, epoxy or something else.

On my first pair I used something called PL 400 which is supposed to be stronger then wood glue and be able to withstand -40 Celsius. But the stuff is expencive so Im looking for something else to use.

Thanks
Tex
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Tite bond wood glue. The regular one.
ra
G-man

Post by G-man »

Just about any reasonably good wood glue will work. I use Titebond 3 because it's a little bit thinner (more runny) than most other glues (also gives more work time). I use a small glue roller to apply the glue (much faster/more even/less waste), and the thinner glue works better with the roller applicator. Titebond 3 is a bit more expensive in smaller bottles, but I buy it by the gallon at Lowe's and it's pretty darned cheap by the gallon ($27 if I remember correctly, compared to about $24 for regular Titebond).

G-man
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

PL 400, as in the construction adhesive from a caulking tube? Holy crap! Seems like a really bad application for something like that.

First set of cores I used Guerrilla (polyurethane) glue. I love the stuff, but it expands and makes a mess everywhere. Plus it costs $$. For the second set of cores I used either Tightbond II or III, can't remember which. Probably III.