Flame Treatment

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

breid19

Flame Treatment

Post by breid19 »

I have built 4 pairs of skis with wood sidewalls and now want to try and build abs sidewall into the next pair. I plane my cores with the sidewall attached thus leaving a smooth finish top and bottom. To roughen the sidewall top/bottom and flame treat does anyone have any special techniques as to not damage the wood core. Has anyone gouged or bunt the core while treating?

Thanks

Bill
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

i'm thinking of the same thing, does anyone have an answer ?
thanks
G-man

Post by G-man »

If all of your flame treating parameters are correct (flame size, distance, speed, a fairly steady hand, etc.), you shouldn't have any problems with scorching the wood. Getting everything truly correct, though, is quite a task (search this site for flame treating posts). If you're burning the wood, you're probably not getting a good surface treatment.

G-man
BerkshireSki

Post by BerkshireSki »

Has anyone had trouble with adhesion of ABS sidewalls without flame treating and simply abrading? ABS typically has great adhesion and cleaninga and abrasion should be all that is required. Polyolefins such as UHMWPE have much lower adhesion and thus the reason they need to be flame treated.