A first timers attempt

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bostonski

A first timers attempt

Post by bostonski »

So I've started building a pair (actually with the assistance of my cousin who's also a first timer). As of now we've only built the core profiler and laminated ONE core, im planning on laminating the second today.

I may be doing things slightly out of order but my theory was I might as well figure out if I can build a core profiler first, once we succeeded I might as well figure out if i can laminate cores, if that goes well, I'll figure out If we can create a template..etc. etc.. etc....

I don't have a press built yet (im thinking building a vac press) because like I said I didn't want to build a press than realize I couldnt build a core profiler.

I also don't have any dimensions finalized yet (besides the core being 2.5 mm at the tips and tails, and 12 mm at the midpoint) but I may just copy the dimensions on Gotamas or Mantras.

My core may be a little wacky..but sucess doesnt come without failure. Its made of 3/4" strips of Poplar-Pine-Poplar-Maple-Poplar-Pine-Poplar. Who knows how this will work....anyways without further a do....

The laminated core!

I'll try to keep this updated as I go along...and a big thanks to everyone behind skibuilders.com! It's a great site.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Looks and sounds to me like you're right on track for success.

G-man
bostonski

Post by bostonski »

Quick update here.....

Finished up the template tonight. We settled on dimensions of 132-93-119.

I used a jigsaw to cut out the template. I know some people have access to water cut templates and what not but all I really had was a jigsaw so I made due.

It needs some fine sanding to knock down little imperfections but I'd say it was a mild sucess.

Check out the sweet Craftsman Jigsaw

bostonski

Post by bostonski »

Routing the core...

oasisvader

Post by oasisvader »

Looks great! Did you have any problems building the profiler?