Core profiling question.

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TexMurphy

Core profiling question.

Post by TexMurphy »

A question Im trying to decide if I should use the core profiler for hand router or if I should do a profiler for a planner.

The main thing I dont like about the planner solution is that I would need to screw in screws into the core and their heads would have to be sunk into the core inorder to not damage the planner. I dont like holes in my core.

But then I started thinking how do you make sure the core lays still in the hand router profiler?

Do you screw it into place or clamp it or how do you do that?

Tex
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

hello,

this is my experience:
- to hold the core into place, I tape it with double-sided tape and it does not move at all.
- If you choose for the router solution, I know some people that have built their router support on some bearings...this makes it much easier to manipulate.

- last year I had lots of problems with the router solution, and then I decided this year to go for the planner solution. for the details, you should have a look there : http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=537
it is damn quicker and very precise !
- Now using the planner, I don't put any screws into my core ! I tape it as I was doing with the router. Another thing is, as the planner press the core onto the crib, you actually don't even need to tape it, just lay it on a sanding paper layer.

I hope it helps a little.
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

Yes the planner solution is quicker but as you say more precise and thats why I wana go down that road. Interesting that you dont need to screw it into place.

What you said with sandpaper gave me an idea. At IKEA they have this anti glide carpet which you put under your carpets so that they dont move. This carpet is kind of sticky and very high fricktion. That should really hold it in place.

So Im pretty sure it wount move while beeing in the planner but once out of the planner it will "pop up" and then it can move. That was one of the reasons I was thinking screws.

The design for core profiler Ive been thinking of is this one.. viewtopic.php?t=992

No offence but I think it looks much simpler to build then yours with the blocks.

Tex
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

TexMurphy wrote:No offence but I think it looks much simpler to build then yours with the blocks.
you're totally right ! but i've seen that one too late... :(
mark

Post by mark »

Tex,

That's my thread you linked to. The screws holding down the core are only at the very front where the core is left long to deal with planer snipe and chip-out. These ends get cut off after profiling. The profiling jig is one sided ( or maybe that should be "one ended") so it's easy to set the screws at the front low enough to avoid the planer blade. Of course, you have to do this twice, once for each end of the board. The only holes in my cores are the holes for the binding inserts. For skis I'd suggest making a jig wide enough to do both at once to reduce the time you spend at your planer. Be careful feeding the jig into the planer if you do use screws though! If you don't keep the back end of the jig up, the screws could hit the blades!

-Mark
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

I did the jigg based on your thread but no screws. Its two sided so it cuts both the tip and tail at the same time. I just put a "carpet stop" (sticky thing that prevents carpets from moving under the core. Worked like a charm.

Im very happy today.

One thing though I used 10mm mdf which might be too thin as its a bit too flexible in the front part of the jigg.

Tex
mark

Post by mark »

Nice! Glad to hear it worked. Can you post a photo of the carpet thingy?

Maybe if you double-up the 10mm on top it would be stiff enough?

-Mark
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

mark wrote:Nice! Glad to hear it worked. Can you post a photo of the carpet thingy?

Maybe if you double-up the 10mm on top it would be stiff enough?

-Mark
I was about to take a photo of it but my batteries where dead. Ill try to remember to charge and bring camer next time I head over to the shop. Bad thing about having a 10+ min drive to the workshop and a horrible memory is that these things are a pain.

Yeah Ive been thinking of doubleing the top or sanding down a piece and putting it into the gap as a stabilizer. Either way no big deal. Just for others so that you know to go wide.

I was worried about the total weight that it be heavy and hard to manouver but that wasnt an issue.

Tex