waterbed heaters?? (cheap alternative for blanket)

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

snowshine

waterbed heaters?? (cheap alternative for blanket)

Post by snowshine »

Is it possible to use water bed heaters for a heating blanket. Maybe someone has already had this thought and researched it a little. My guess is they are not the same same thing but if they were there are lots of used ones out there. I did a search and was surprised this hasn't come up yet.

Fire away.
snowshine

Post by snowshine »

After further research I dont think it would be a good idea to subject the heater to the forces of a press. Although providing you could dissipate the heat well enough I still think you may be able to use them with a vacuum setup. Im going to keep looking into it.
oasisvader

Post by oasisvader »

What about using heated water to fill the bladder in the press? Could it get hot enough? Any thoughts?
SRP

Post by SRP »

Oasisvader,

I have been thinking the same thing. Why not have fittings on both ends of the fire hose so you could flow hot water through. I guess I am wondering if there is a cheap enough way to heat the water and get it to the right temp and pressure? How accurately could it be maintained? Just some thoughts along the same line.
oasisvader

Post by oasisvader »

SRP,

I don't think that maintaining the temperature would be the problem, but getting the right pressure would be. If you keep the water flowing through the hose, then the internal pressure of the hose decreases (the faster the flow, the less pressure). It would take some serious math/physics engineering skills to find the right flow and pressure.

Now that I've given this some more thought, this method doesn't seem to be so promising... Have you any ideas that might overcome this problem?
badh0rsie

Post by badh0rsie »

I have been thinking about a water pressure press as well, and i have some thoughts:
The pressure of my water pipes is 35-40 psi on any given day. This isn't super high or anything, but it would be sufficient to press skis. If a small water heater was plumbed into a loop (water heater to ski press, press to a pump, pump to a T back into water heater) It could be possible to maintain temps through the water heater thermostat. Its not the most accurate, but it could be done with elementry knowledge of plumbing and electricity. Home depot sells an array of water heaters, the one that caught my eye was Ariston GL2.5 Mini-Tank- it has a small reservoir and can be run inline. it costs about $160. I dont know how much other systems would cost compared to this.
If you wanted this to be seperate from the main plumbing, you might be able to fill the lines and then pressurize it with an air compressor.