Hotwires

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Truckee Joe

Hotwires

Post by Truckee Joe »

Final PRODUCT 186 twin tip 134-96-114 weight= supper light ~1.5lbs per ski.

Details base-glass-foam core-glass-glass-topsheet

These are durring construction

I put aluminum in the tips and tails, easyer than bending the edges and looks clean.

My homemade hotwire profiles cores perfect
But i really need some money to get a heat blanket however for now the heat lamps help keep the work at around 80
Last edited by Truckee Joe on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plywood

Post by plywood »

those things are pretty good looking! very clean and professional.

how did you reinforce the binding area?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
uni412

Post by uni412 »

Do those have a capped construction?
Truckee Joe

Post by Truckee Joe »

ya it is a cap. for the bindings i cut door screen material and placed 2 criss crossing layers where the bindings would mount. seems to hold well i also used epoxy in the holes and then let them sit upside down so the foam wouldn't soak up all the epoxy.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Very impressive work. The homemade hotwire/profiler is quite clever. Have you skied them yet?

G-man
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

thats a very clean look compared to all the wild graphics that are so common nowadays. Bet they get lost in deep show pretty easy.. lol
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
mattman

Post by mattman »

how are you capping your ski? we have been pre-thermorforming our topsheets to get them to make the cap. yours looks super clean though, very nice.
Truckee Joe

Post by Truckee Joe »

Sorry for being lost on the internet for a few years but I am back into the ski making mindset now.

The cap shape came from the foam shape, I routed then sanded the foam core. When it went into the vacuum bag the bag rolled the top sheet over the core, the thickness at the edge is like 2mm but i would like to try to get a little more pressure and get that down to ~1mm.

I did get to ski these about 3 times, Very soft as expected and I want to add some carbon rods or strips to help stiffen them up. The ski finally failed down in the tails. The foam core collapsed from the top down when being flexed in the shop by a friend. Just more reinforcement that i need to add some kind of stringers into the foam and maybe 1 more layer of glass is needed.
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

wow! those look awesome! you could probably keep your layup the way it is but make the core 25-50% wood. Alternating strips of foam and wood or something. Just curious, what type of foam is that? I'm looking into materials to replace sections of core. Ill be doing something with honeycomb this season but foam would probably be much easier to work with
Truckee Joe

Post by Truckee Joe »

I used Spyder Foam. It is the best foam i found, because it has some flexibility and soaks up the resin nicely. Spyder foam is XPS manufactured by Dow. The foam is also referred to as Surfboard foam by them It seems it's used mostly in RC aircraft wing builds. I liked working with it and the Hotwire worked really well for me.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

It's the best foam you found, but it crushed when the ski was flexed, after being skied on only 3 times?

I don't know exactly what kind of foam this is, but I used it in a pair of powder skis two years ago, and have skied the snot out of them with zero issues:

http://www.blankslateskis.com/foam-core ... -x-1854mm/