Materials Cost????

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Telemark Mark

Materials Cost????

Post by Telemark Mark »

I've been sifting through old posts trying to find out what people are paying per set of skis (materials only). I've found that a lot of people are paying anywhere from $90-$130 per pair of skis. My best so far is $160 (which doesn't include shipping). Easily over $200 with shipping. Heres a rundown:

Aspen Core (snowboardmaterials.com).............$25.00
Fiberglass (skibuilders)....................................$29.98
Edges (skibuilders)..........................................$10.00
VDS (skibuilders)............................................$10.00
Base (skibuilders)...........................................$23.98
Topsheet (skibuilders).....................................$19.98
Tip/Tail Spacers (skibuilders)...........................$4.99
****Epoxy (West Marine/Reno).......................$36.00

Total............................................................$159.93

**** I approximated the Epoxy cost for 1 pair of skis.

Is there a way to go cheaper? I wouldn't mind buying in bulk if it's reasonable.

P.S. I'm in no way bashing skibuilders.com's prices. I think it is great that I can order all the materials i need at one place. I'm just looking to start making skis for friends/family and would love to get their cost down to around $100 a pair.

Thanks a bunch -
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

once you start ordering more stuff at once,
try crown plastics.

until then, the best places are skibuilders and snowboardmaterials

mr fiberglass is slightly cheaper resin. some like it, i havent tested it yet. i'll let you know in about a week.
Doug
jono

Post by jono »

raka.com has triaxial fiberglass stitched tape 12" wide for $3.90/yard
I have not ordered this yet but I think it would be about the same as the triaxial fiberglass from the skibuilders store.
The only way to keep the costs down is to buy in bulk directly from manufacturers or distributors and they usually want you to buy more than is practical for the home builder.
Good luck!!
post any good deals you might come across!!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

If you decide to go bulk, You may try to get a group purchase to help out with the costs. Also, I have not see an option to edges. Group buy would have to be a large quantity (correct me fi I'm wrong), otherwise get it from this site and save the worries.
ra
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

jono wrote:raka.com has triaxial fiberglass stitched tape 12" wide for $3.90/yard
I have not ordered this yet but I think it would be about the same as the triaxial fiberglass from the skibuilders store.
The only way to keep the costs down is to buy in bulk directly from manufacturers or distributors and they usually want you to buy more than is practical for the home builder.
Good luck!!
post any good deals you might come across!!
raka is a good company and there epoxy is good. I used there fabric and epxoy to make my kayak.