heated ski press

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

D*MINION Ski (guest)

heated ski press

Post by D*MINION Ski (guest) »

Hey all,

First off, this site is incredible. It is the best resource I have come across.

I am trying to see if anyone has found a way to add heat to their press. I know the big ski/snowboard makers use metal heat platens which are built into their presses, but that is too expensive.

I am thinking of using ceramic infrared emitters. I know these are used to cure paint and other things.

I talked to a guy at BriskHeat about silicone heat blankets but I don't think they are going to work.

If anyyone has found a solution that isn't too much $$$, let me know.

Thanks,
Jordan

BTW the snow's comming........

Post by Guest »

I know that some professional ski press use hot water pipes (I suppose copper) to heat up the mold.
D*MINION

Post by D*MINION »

I think I was wrong about the silicone heat blankets. I think they might work.

I don't know if anyone else is/has tried to use them, but I think I'm going to give them a try. If anyone has used them with bad results let me know.

-jordan

Post by Guest »

my question is why would you think they wouldn't work?
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

To: Guest.

That's one of the things this forum is for. To post ideas for other to critique. If someone has already tried a silicone heat blanket but (for example) had issues with mantaining consistant heat at 170* F then D*MINION wouldn't have to discover that the hard way, or he could plan for the expected problem.

I for one have some electric heating elements which I plan to use to heat a small enclosure which I will roll my press into once the ski is layed up. The only obsticle I have yet to overcome is that of the proper thermostat for 170-180*F. I am going to go visit with an appliance repair shop to see if a regular oven thermostat may be used successfully in my ski press oven. Then hopefully he will let me scrounge a used one for cheap, or free.

I see no reason that this shouldn't work (Guest) but if anyone has sees any contraindications to using this big oven method, by all means, speak up. Thanks. -Jed

Post by Guest »

Hose-man -

I appreciate your comments, and I am FULLY aware as to what this forum is about.

I think you took my question out of context ...but that was most likely my fault.....I took his (Dminion) statement as ..he spoke to a manufacturer..and after doing so thought the silicone blankets wouldnt work..... I wanted to know what the manufacturer said ...if that was the case.... that changed his mind. Was it cost ..volatge requirements ...etc etc..

..sorry if I wasnt clear.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

no worries Guest. Looks like I read you wrong.
Ben

I checked with someone...

Post by Ben »

I contacted a manufacturer (the first on a google search of silicone heat blankets) if they would work between 50 and 100 psi. He says that as long as the pressure is even it would work and they seem to have a well thought out temperature control setup. Hope this helps.
Ben
Ben

My Bad

Post by Ben »

I dont believe the site was the first result from the google search so here it is http://www.briskheat.com/ I hope this can make the process easier, let me know how it works out if you try to go this route.
Ben
endre

Post by endre »

D*MINION

Post by D*MINION »

Hey all,

The reason I'm flip flopping with the heat blankets was that I assumed after intially talking with the manufacturer that the blankets could not withstand the pressure of my press (80-100psi). Then I asked them directly if it could withstand up to 100psi and they said yes, but only if the pressure was evenly distributed. So I'm thinking it can work b/c if I put it between the bladder and the top pressing sheet in my press the pressure would be even.

However, I just got off the phone today with the manufacturer and by "evenly distributed" he also meant the heat blanket must lay flat and not kink at all or bend (this is a problem for the tips and tails and possibly even the slight arc of the camber. They are getting back to me if they think it can handle the arc of the camber) . Sooooo.........I'm still figuring it out if I can use it and it be safe.

So all this is to say that I 'm still talking with the manufacturer to work out the details of using a heat blanket. They have been real nice and are trying to see if they have anything that can work.

Hose-man: I thought of making an "oven" as well. You're going to have to let me know how that works. I was thinking of using infrared heaters in it (like a sauna, b/c they make accurate digital temp. control units for them), but I wanted to explore the heat blanket idea first.

Also, I am real new to this. I haven't even pressed a ski yet. But I cannot wait.....I 'm getting close.

snow is comming.......
-jordan

Post by Guest »

What about simply laying sheet metal down the length of the mold having some stick out. Then heating the metal from outside the press? We all know metal is conductive.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I've been working on this and just received my heat blanket the other day. I have the control box wired and running and the heater seems to work really well. I haven't put the blanket in our mold yet and pressed a ski, but will do so in the next week or so. There should also be an article soon about building the controller.

The blanket is very flexible and will withstand pretty much any pressure that you can apply. However, you can still puncture it with sharp corners or points.
D*MINION

Post by D*MINION »

Kelvin:

Cool, I really am curious about how the heat blanket will work. I actually never ended up ordering one b/c the manufactuer seemed very hesitant about using it in the press (he was worried about it pinching, or crimping around the top of the ski). I think it was hard to describe to him exactly how I was going to use it. I was going to put it on top of the pressing sheet not directly on the ski. I felt like that could work b/c it would keep the pressure from pinching or contorting the balnket too much. Where are you going to put the blanket in your mold?

You guys are great. Thanks for all the info.

-jordan
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

My heat blanket is in the bottom mold under a sheet of thin aluminum. Looking from top to bottom: Aluminum, blanket, 2 sheets of 1/8" hardboard, mdf ribs. I made sure to smooth out any edges and elminated any pressure points.

I got my blanket through: http://www.michaelsenterprises.com
They are very good to work with.

we will be pressing some skis this weekend with the new heated mold. Stay tuned! :D

kelvin