My first splitboard

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jparker

My first splitboard

Post by Jparker »

First board too actually. Made to be a tough and not particularly light splitboard for the rocky mountains.

Split Snowboard
167cm long
1.5cm of taper
7.7mm in the center tapering to 2mm at tip and tail
Ptex outer sidewalls and topsheet
22oz triax glass top and bottom
kevlar veil and a couple of carbon tows for show
voile splitboard hardware pattern

I have to post twice before I can post pictures I guess.
Jparker

Re: My first splitboard

Post by Jparker »

Jparker wrote: I have to post twice before I can post pictures I guess.
dos
Jparker

Re: My first splitboard

Post by Jparker »

Here's the images. http://picasaweb.google.com/Parkerjohn/BoardBuilding

Core. Maple and Doug fir. The wide center strip will be the inner sidewalls for the splitboard. The core is 1/4" wider then the board so there will be 1/4 inch that needs to be cut out of the board after lamination.

Edges bent by hand. durasurf 2001 cut out with a router and template.

Router Bridge. It worked ok but next time I will use a planer jig instead.

Core with sidewall. There are a lot of insert holes that need to be cut in a splitboard.

Dowels were used to align the core with the base. The two base pieces were spaced at 1/4" with pieces of basswood from the hobby shop. The dowel system worked very well. I had to cut holes through the fiberglass and VDS before laminating too.

VDS and some kevlar veil I got from Fiberglast. Hopefully it will deflect some core shots in it's life.

Me fixing a leak in the bag. No pictures from the layup unfortunately.

My high tech heating system. Kmart heating blanket with a space blanket on top. Got it pretty warm inside, no idea how warm.

finished board. Cotton cloth graphics and a couple of carbon tows for show.

More pictures of the finished board in picasa. I'm mounting hardware now, hopefully take it out for a test ride tomorrow morning or this evening.
Last edited by Jparker on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Very ambitious first project. Looks like real good work and great outcome. I look forward to seeing it all together on the snow.

G-man
plywood

Post by plywood »

you`ve got skills! really nice work. second what g-man said :D
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

nice work.

Curious, did you get voile's permission?

According to a recent conversation I had with a lawyer, building a board (even for personal use) with the voile hole pattern is a violation of their patent under u.s. law.

Has voile in the past not bothered with individual board builders.

Also the interface kit does not come with the yin/yang hooks or the tip and tail hooks, so you have to buy those from voile. Again, what is their response / attitude about this?

Very cool project, just really curious about voiles opinion.
endre

Post by endre »

Nice, clean process. Was looking at making a splitboard myself one day, but chickened out.
doughboyshredder wrote: According to a recent conversation I had with a lawyer, building a board (even for personal use) with the voile hole pattern is a violation of their patent under u.s. law.
That's the most crazy thing i ever heard. You guys really got laws like that? Or are your lawyers just plain stupid.
mpm32

Post by mpm32 »

You can build whatever you want for your own puposes, you just can't sell it. Once you start to sell something for commercial purposes that's when you start to get into trouble.
Jparker

Post by Jparker »

Finished product. Wide angle lens makes it look like it has more taper then it really does.

Bling Spark R&D anodized split hooks. Will at Spark was nice enough to let me hog up a bunch of space in his shop and help out with this project.

mpm32 is right, you can do whatever for personal use. I ordered all the parts separately from Voile and saved money from the kit anyway.

Ambitious yeah, my next board will be a little simpler. I'm hoping to build a press this summer too. . . .
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

The right conferred by the patent grant is, in the language of the statute and of the grant itself, “the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling” the invention in the United States or “importing” the invention into the United States.
from the United States Patent Office website.

I can only assume that Voile has decided to not pursue individual builders.

Really nice work. I hope to make a good split for myself at some point.
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

hi !

I'am actually on a "split board" project with a friend and we were wondering if we could build a bord with edges in the middle !
You made it, and very nicely !
I hope you'll let us know how it behaves, uphill and downhill !
Jparker

first ride

Post by Jparker »

took it for a short ride yesterday before it got dark. It's pretty stiff, but not overly so. Seemed to ride pretty well. I built my mold with extra camber since everyone was telling me it would relax but it didn't so I have around 13mm of it. Maybe the PTEX topsheet or the heating blanket had something to do with that?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

by the way could you give us some more details about your heated blanket ? It seems to be a nice and "cheap" solution, i like it !
Congrats for your splitboard, it's one of my projects but first I have to make my first skis ;)
Jparker

Post by Jparker »

ben_mtl wrote:by the way could you give us some more details about your heated blanket ?
Oh, it was cheap. It's a $20 on closeout kmart heated matress cover, size full. I then picked up a "space blanket" from the local climbing store for $5. They come in little orange boxes and are emergency blankets for unplanned bivies, injuries etc.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Cheap electric blanket :D I picked up mine at the salvation army for $3, on high got up to 107f. should work OK.
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)