My first splitboard

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mdj032

Post by mdj032 »

thats freaken sweet i've never heard of a splitboard before. i haven't built skis yet, but will this summer,. so i am still trying to get a handle on everything. with the bindings for the ski part what kind of bindings are they and where can i get a pair? and do you have to switch between ski and snowboard boots or can you use snowboard boots for both?
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

Hi JParker,

did you try them uphill ?
Why did youy decided to put edges in the middles of the board ?
It's not mandatory to climp as the external edge is sufficient, so what does it bring ?
Jparker

Post by Jparker »

The middle edges are for icy side slopes while skinning/skiing. I've used splitboards with no inside edges and they are definitely worth having unless you only skin through powder. I have bindings made by Spark R&D that accommodate snowboard boots.

I have several days on it now in very variable conditions. It's pretty damn stiff, a little more so then I like. It also has a ton of camber, I made a mold with more then I wanted because I was expecting it to relax, but it didn't at all and now I have 12mm of camber. I'm thinking it's a combination of the heat blanket and the p-tex topsheet (symmetrical layup) that made it not relax.

That being said it rides well, especially on firm snow. The shape is very good, I like the combination of moderate taper and a wide sidecut radius, makes a board that is stable at speed but still doesn't mind some quick maneuvering.

I want to make a lightweight carbon one now. . .