198cm 110 under foot, 30m radius

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Three31

198cm 110 under foot, 30m radius

Post by Three31 »

I havent posted in a while because Ive been super busy w/ work school and trying to build skis. but here are a couple of new pairs from the past couple of months

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... =602540836

Here are the cut bases getting edged.

just before top sheet

198's in the press

a pair of 198's on (R), and 179.5's on (L)

Past present and future

tip spacer and wood (bamboo) sidewalls

view of tip

camber and sidewalls

in the line up

Specs on the 198's

Sidecut - 30m - 137-110-129

Running surface - 165
tip / tail running surface 90cm / 75cm

Mold, Adjustable flat mold w/ 21cm radius tip and tail molds

core
2.5-12.5-2.5 bamboo w/ uhmd tip and tail spacer

Ive been stopping the edges just before the tip starts to make a tight radius (as sseen in some pics) Ive been doing this so it is hopefully less likely to delam.

Pressing conditions
garage temp ~ 50 degrees
after I lay up the ski I slide it in the press, inflate the air bag to 70 psi, and let the ski sit at 100 degrees for +/- 15 minutes and then ramp the temp up to 180 with out stopping. In doing so, ive been getting about 3 mm of total camber (1.5 mm per ski) while pressing in a FLAT MOLD. Im assuming If I let the ski sit at a lower temp, like 90 or 85 degrees, for the 15 min period, it would have less added camber. (once ramped from 40 to 180 and got about 1 cm of rocker, friend did a very slow ramp and with about 3 or 4 increments and got about 1 cm of camber)

After letting the ski sit for 15 min at 100 I bring it to 180 and leave it there for 45 to 60 min.

The other pair of skis are 179.5's (180 I guess). Have the same basic construction.

sidecut
136-97-123 - 18m radius in the tip, 24m radius in the tail, w/ radius change under foot.

this ski came out stiff b/c of the core, and is great in hard-pack and carves well. Not sure how I feel about the dual radius sidecut.

core
3.5-13.5-3.5 bamboo w/ tip/tail spacer
Brian
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Looks great!! Nice to see some long fat skis too! Construction looks great.

The facebook link didn't work for me, but I would love to check out that gallery.

again, nicely done.
Three31

Post by Three31 »

thanks, they keep on turning out better as I build more pairs.

the facebook link has the sma pics prety much, Ill try to get more posted soon.

btw - Your shop set up is sweet. I need to get my tools more organized and accesable like what you have.
Brian
plywood

Post by plywood »

clean looking boards, very nice. now they just need some grafics, how about a tiny logo or something like that?! such skis just have to be labeled so that everyone knows who built them ;)

you seem to be a gearslut! what about those wicked bros with the two binders on? are you serious? if yes: i want to see a picture of skiing them!
and what are those planks just left of the bros? black ones with some red cloth in the tip, uncut...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Three31

Post by Three31 »

haha, if you want to see a pic of the bro's being ridden . . . find a picture of last years squaw pond skim. My roomate and I took it by skimming back to back tandem. I think there might be an archived tgr thread floating 'round somewhere.

here is a pic though (I'm riding on the tail end)

Broke Back Mountain . . . LOL

as for the uncut ski with the red fabric . . . that was supposed to be the match to the black ski seen above with the bandana on the tail. It was the ski I ramped from ~40 to 180 that came out with rocker. I didnt really care for the design that much and was just over it, so didnt cut it out. Now it is one of those pre cut displays I guess.

for logo and name, haha, people have been asking me for a while about names and such. Lets just say my creativity is lacking in that department.
Brian
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Hmmm.... Slush cup specific snow skis. I think skibuilders has taken springtime debauchery to a new level.
plywood

Post by plywood »

broke back mountain, you name it haha! just brilliant!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Brian,
nice skis. the tandem makes me laugh! i look forward to meeting you in Reno.
Three31

Post by Three31 »

Pressed a new pair last night.
158-130-(forgot the tail dimension but it is slightly pined)
core - 3.2-12.8-3.2 poplar

mold had 1.5cm of tip and tail camber w/ a flat foot. But I messed up while laying up. Ive been normaly laying skis up in a 45 to50 degree garage and keeping the base warm by having the heater turned up to 100 degrees during layup. when I normally do this the base will usually touch and the edges wont so the edges end up getting a bit warm. I did this again last night forgetting that it was 60 degrees out and not observing the fact that because I was using a different mold the edges were in full contact and heating up to 100 degrees as well.

To make what could be a long story (in lessons of thermal expansion)short . . . . The skis came out with 4mm of camber where they should have been flat, and a bit less rocker than expected.

Going to cut them out tonight and hopefully get them tuned to bring them to mammoth this weekend for a few test turns in some corn (hopefully corn)!!!
Brian
Three31

Post by Three31 »

Cut the rockered skis out last night. Had them ground and holes drilled this morning (thanks to Village Ski Loft, N. Tahoe). They came out nice. Still having issues w/ epoxy on the bases though (a little sloppy in layup and possible issues of how flat the mold is) (may have relieved the core a bit much for edges too), but the bases are fairly flat.

Brian
Wannabebuilder

Post by Wannabebuilder »

I think that underfoot camber is a happy mistake. Looks sweet.
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

suppose you could squeeze three pairs of bindings on those bad boys?

Eiffel tower pond skimming is now a reality!!
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
Three31

Post by Three31 »

'builder - thanks, they rode great in the 4 inches of fresh that there was at mammoth the saturday before memorial day. I know 4 inches isnt much to test in, but you could at least feel how they respond well sort of. they rode well in the chop and on groomed as well, especially for a rockered ski, the camber was a happy mistake.

trying to get some sublimated graphics going this summer, got some friends in reno that are going to help out.
Brian