I-Beam Ski Press for sale (frame alone, or more)

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Craig

I-Beam Ski Press for sale (frame alone, or more)

Post by Craig »

I found out I have to move out of South Lake Tahoe without my press, due to a number of factors not worth getting into. Anyway, here it is: What's left of it anyhow. Right now, only half of it is functioning, but the other half can be repaired - I just don't have much reason to do it now. It is unpainted/unsealed, only because I've only had it for a few weeks.

The press is made from W11x38 I-beams (11" flange, 10"web, 38 lbs/ft) @ 8 1/2' long. The cavity is 8' longx11"widex8" tall (this is half of the press, could be expanded to 22"). The height could easily be increased by changing out the small end pieces for new, taller ones. Each beam weighs about 300 lbs, for a total weight, including small end pieces and nuts/bolts, of either 900 or 1300 lbs... depending on whether 3 or 4 beams are attached. The flange steel is 3/8" thick, and the web is 1/4". It is connected with 32 3/4" galvanized steel bolts - not a single one has failed, and the press has been run at 90 psi.

The press used to look like this:

but there was an issue with the beams that I uncovered the hard way. They were built from steel sheets welded together, rather than from a single piece of steel. Well, anyway, it turned out that at the end of one of the beams, the weld holding the flange to the web did not extend all the way to the end. I did not notice this. So, when the hose was first inflated to 85 psi, it peeled back about 8 inches of the flange apart from the web:

So, right now, it is a one ski press. We secured the functional side with tiedowns just in case something like that would happen.... but its been pushed to 90 PSI with no problems. It appears all the other welds are much better. All of the beams could be reinforced with another weld on the flange/web interface - they are now only welded on one side. I would have done it myself, but my crappy rental house garage doesn't even have enough amp output to run a welder.

I would try to fix it myself or have a metal shop fix it (the only repair is to the bent metal needing straightened), if I could bring the press with me on my move. But unfortunately, I cannot. So I'm hoping to find a good home for it by April 31st (the last day of my lease).

I'm not really sure what a functional half ski press plus a fixable second half is worth, so if anyone is actually interested, just make me an offer.

Just to give you an idea of how much it cost to build:

steel: $580, bought at $0.40/lb scrap
bolts: $50

plus drillbits and countless grinders used to drill 64 3/4 inch holes in steel.

But, I know that only half of it works right now. Though if the other beam gets straightened, its a pretty solid two ski press. I've run it regularly at 70 PSI.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested. I hope I can find it a good home and not just leave an ABANDONED sign on it.
- Craig
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

nice setup.

whoever buys this please listen up:

DO NOT USE WWW.FREIGHTSHIPPINGCENTER.COM

they are crooks.

go with a freighter more popular like yellow or roadway or conway or something.

there's actually a bid site like ebay for shipping too. just stay away from freightshipping center, which is a 3rd party that gets orders so they can fill trucks to make it more affordable. but they totally screw you.

unless you hand load it, then strap it down to a skid while its already on the truck, and vice versa, and you will probably have to pay more because the driver will probably be involved.

anyway long story, they totally screwed me out of a few hundred bucks. if you chose the wrong shipper, it could easily cost way more than you pay for the press. with the right one its not so bad. good luck.
Doug
teneightyskier

Post by teneightyskier »

Are you coming down toward Sacramento in the near future?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Craig, PM sent
rockaukum