Vacuum press help

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ablanchard

Vacuum press help

Post by ablanchard »

Hello all,
I am just starting out to make snowboards and I have a few questions reguarding the vacuum press method. What are some requirements for a vacuum pump? I have heard alot about using fridge pumps from this site and a few other sites and I still am unclear on how that works. Do you need a old fridge that you are no longer going to use and remove the pump?
I am looking at some pumps on e-bay and I just want to make sure that I get one that will do the job. what are some specifications that the pump should meet. Besides the pump what are some other matirials that I will need?
If someone could describe the process of making a complete vacuum press that would be great :D

Thanks!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Hi ablanchard:

Welcome to the forum. It was good to speak with you over the phone about your project today. I think the vacuum press is a good option for making snowboards. Have a look at http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm for some ideas.

If you decide on a pneumatic press, search the forum for ideas. There are a number of great designs out there!

Keep us posted on your project. Good luck.
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

I have been using a vacuum set up consisting of a fridge compressor.
It works well, and is very quiet (can run it overnight). It is able to pull around 25 inches of mercury. Also they take up little space and are cheap to make. I got my first pump from a appliance store. They sometimes remove the old fridges when they deliver the new ones. Most of the time the pump is still fine but something else has gone.

*I have a few sites to post but because Im online a recent member of the forum it wont let me post them within my first two posts
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

x15man

Vacuum venturi device

Post by x15man »

You might try Heatcon's HCS2026-01 vacuum generator. The device is about $150 and works off of your air compressor to generate about 28" of vacuum. Heatcon also sells vacuum bagging materials and composites in small quantities. You can find them on the web.
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

The draw back of using one of these is they are continualy running for the time that the board is curing. And are noisey as the compressor has to continualy draw air.
Although some basic fridge compressor set ups are also run continualy with a bleed valve to adjust vacuum rate and stop the pump from being on flat out without sucking anything. This can burn the motor/compressor out from not having a chance to cool.
I bought a quality vacuum switch and vacuum gauge. When the bag is sealed well, it will only come on every now and then when needed. And no noisey compressors, which more than likely wont be able to keep up with the demand if continualy drawing air.
Also a good set up will able to do vacuum infusion too.
MaRuMo

Post by MaRuMo »

I've posted pictures of using a vacuum bag and the fridge motor set up that myself and friends who came up with it used. This year's set up is a little beefier but the same logistic. It works great. The old fridge motor is definitely more quiet, and had it on over night during the first trial last year.

You can also try and make a gage to regulate the vacuum so it shuts off once it reaches sufficient pressure, lets the motor to rest and little. Once the pressure drops the set up will switch the motor back on. Idris will be a good person to ask for idea on where to get stuff and how to make it. But if you look at the picture close up, you'll get an idea. It's not on the link but I also have a close up photo of the hand made gage. It's made of a large syringe (I think it's agricultural - the things you can use to feed baby animals) secured onto a block of wood, hand made switch and do a simple electric rig up.

Also to make the vacuum bag press. Don't need to buy very expensive stuff but reasonable. Hope the pictures etc. helps your ski building.

You can find the Flickr link in the ski building journal, equipment and method, and Layup furom.
MaRuMo

Post by MaRuMo »

I've posted pictures of using a vacuum bag and the fridge motor set up that myself and friends who came up with it used. This year's set up is a little beefier but the same logistic. It works great. The old fridge motor is definitely more quiet, and had it on over night during the first trial last year.

You can also try and make a gage to regulate the vacuum so it shuts off once it reaches sufficient pressure, lets the motor to rest and little. Once the pressure drops the set up will switch the motor back on. Idris will be a good person to ask for idea on where to get stuff and how to make it. But if you look at the picture close up, you'll get an idea. It's not on the link but I also have a close up photo of the hand made gage. It's made of a large syringe (I think it's agricultural - the things you can use to feed baby animals) secured onto a block of wood, hand made switch and do a simple electric rig up.

Also to make the vacuum bag press. Don't need to buy very expensive stuff but reasonable. Hope the pictures etc. helps your ski building.

You can find the Flickr link in the ski building journal, equipment and method, and Layup furom.

Good luck!
MaRuMo