Orange Boards!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Orange Boards!

Post by rockaukum »

Well it is time to give a review of the latest skis.
These are a take off of the Goose Skis that were recently made for my son. These skied the powder very well so I decided to increase the length from 170 to 180. Along the way I figured that this would be a ski to use for the back country trips. With that in mind, I wanted to reduce the weight and increase the torsional stiffness. For the reduced weight I went without the top sheet, core dimentions of 2.5-10-3 (opposed to 2-12-2), and triax below and biax on top. As for the torsional effect, the increase in core tip and tail dimension and the use of the biaxial glass on top. As an after thought, I'm not too sure about the use of cloth in the layup. The use of cloth adds alot of wieght. I would guess that the type of cloth you use may help, but in my case it soaked up alot of epoxy.
The layup is as follows. Base, VDS on all edges, 22oz triax, wood core (ash-poplar-ash, from the center out), 19oz biax glass, and cloth. I plan on using some type of sealer to protect the epoxy and top of the skis. The skis weigh in at 4# 4 7/8oz. They are lighter than the Goose skis (which are 170 not 180's)
Here are some pics of the product.

Profiling the core (bookmached core for the first time) on the new profile jig.
Finished core.
The Orange skis with the rough cut / trim.
Camber shot.
Getting better with the edge fit.
Tip edge fit. Have had problems in the past with getting a good press in this area.
Bottoms up.
Last day out, this is where we stopped for lunch and a cold brew. LT in the background. Skiing the wicked sticks.
Spring skiing at its finest! Looking up to the lunch spot.
Up next is the base tune, edge sand and then put a bevel on the sides. After that is done it is time to seal them and ski them!
rockaukum
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

i like the color! nice work.
SHIF

what rhymes with orange?

Post by SHIF »

Ya, orange is cool. Nice work.

I made some orange sticks last Christmas.

The cores are poplar and Brazillian redwood. This dark wood is way too heavy for this use. Never again. Only bamboo these daze.

-S
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Shif,
That looks like the same material I used. Purchased at Walmart. Couldn't decide if I like the material inside out or not. Sure did darked up a bit when pressed.
Skis look great. How did they ski? With the wook choice being heavy, were they stiff or not?
rockaukum
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

The fabric is an orange swirl design from Joann Fabrics. Looks OK but not as cool as most others. The QCM ECA-408 curing agent I used is very dark amber in color and makes everything look dark when pressed.
http://www.qcminds.com/eca-408.htm
The P-tex bases are also orange colored, from snowboardmaterials.com.

The skis are actually rather soft in the flex, due to overall core profile being on the thin side albeit heavy. I calculated the density of this Brazillian redwood to be more than twice that of the poplar. Got it cheap, it had very tight and straight grain. It is not right for ski cores however. Poplar is great and bamboo is better however very difficult to plane.

The skis work alright in the soft snow. They were my first boards out of my new press form and the camber is spot on at 10mm and the skis have no built-in twist! Bladder pressure 35psi, cure temp 190F for a few hours.

185cm, 25m side cut radius, 136-100-124 width. The natural UHMW sidewalls have a 22 degree bevel, done perfectly in my cantilevered router set-up.

I didn't plan to hijack your thread, sorry..

-S