1 year of Carpathian Ski Co

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Carpathian

1 year of Carpathian Ski Co

Post by Carpathian »

Hey everyone,

I have been at this ski building thing for 1 year now. I have cranked out 19 pairs of skis and one snowboard. My favorite ski design I have been pushing is this zero camber/zero sidecut model. 142-135-128. With no camber or sidecut you can have a lot of ski out there but it still remains nimble underfoot. You can work the edge for the sweet spot and your power comes from under the heel as opposed to the ball of foot. Just this week I dialed the DPS looking tip. All I did was skillsaw grooves perperdicular to length and bent with clamps and added fiberglass to hold up. Looking good.

Anyway, I just returned from epic trip to Alaska where I competed in three world championship events all in a row at Alyeska Resort, all on my own gear. Telemarking, snowboarding and alpine.

Here is the resulting Carpathian Team Video:
Go to you tube and type in jvmovie.

Be sure to watch all 3 parts!
Enjoy!

jake
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

try again, no vid, no link ;)
Doug
Carpathian

again

Post by Carpathian »

uh, try youtube dot com/jvmovie.

I just registed this name and can't post URL's yet...
sammer

Post by sammer »

Jake, what length is this monster taper?
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Carpathian

monster taper

Post by Carpathian »

That is a good description, monster taper. They are 192cm but actually feel smaller due to the no camber/sidecut. Well, they feel small until you want them to feel big! I think it is the happy medium in ski design. The infinite sidecut if you will.

I have been happy with clear pine core and natural maple sidewall. Super snappy feel with mid-ski core thinckness at 12 mm. I got into using base material as tip spacer (2x in tip, 3x in tail). And I have turned away from using actual topsheet material. Now I press in a 2 -step process. Base, fiberglass, core, fiberglass =press. I am using 10oz fiberglass, 4x under core, 1x on top of core.
The ski comes out and you can sand away problems then I use cotton or synthetic fabric as topsteet in epoxy. 3 Layers with random orbital each time and voila! NIce looking ski. The epoxy will scratch easily but it still protects core.

Now I am thinking about pressing ski flat, with no tip, then adding tip manually as per perpendicular skillsaw method. We will see.
Carpathian

site

Post by Carpathian »

plywood

Re: site

Post by plywood »

nice videos you got there! i`d love to ski those mountains and to ride those chicks....eeeh skis of course ;)

no seriously. i like the idea of no camber. and interesting method for the topsheet too.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Carpathian

Big Dippers

Post by Carpathian »

Yah, zee girls could be difficult to vork vith.

See if this picture works,

new BD tips.JPG

You can see the ends of the skillsaw cuts and huge tips, easily bent with clamps.
plywood

Re: Big Dippers

Post by plywood »

yah, bat I`m used to zee germans hehehe

and the picture sadly does not work
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
alloyguitar

Post by alloyguitar »

even coming from a snowboarder, those are some very nice videos.

Looks like you spent a good amount of time filming them.

Congrats!