Durability, Vacuum and Die Cut...

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

telexis

Durability, Vacuum and Die Cut...

Post by telexis »

OK So I think about building my own ride. Probably something with reverse sidecut and camber to experiment with. There are three things I am wondering now:

1. What about the durability of those skis? I don't mind too much spending a decent amount of time and some money on that project, but if they break after 10 days that would be a bummer... I usually ski about 40-60 days per winter and I ski hard!

2. What about vacuum bagging? I have read around on the forum, but only find bits and bits of info. Would someone who successfully build some skis be kind enough to go through the detail of its process (layers, material use, important considerations)? Do you need to pre-bend the tip and tail when you use vacuum?

3. I was thinking about making some die cut pattern in the base. Obviously it is tricky to find the proper die cut to do that... anyone used a laser cutter to do that job? Any other consideration with making pattern in the base? It would be so awesome if I can make it works!!!! :-)

Thanks for your help!

Alexis
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

I think you might find more help in the construction and material section. Try searching for vacuum bags or try asking someone like action sports technology http://snowboardmaterials.com/
for help.

I have no experience with vacuum bagging but I have quite a few days on my home built skis and they are holding up fine. Your fist pair will undoubtedly have problems that you can work out later. It isn't about building the greatest ski ever on the first try but several pairs in you will discover that you can make something that rivals the big boys.