Would this fiberglass work

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jibby

Would this fiberglass work

Post by jibby »

http://cgi.ebay.com/15oz-Triaxial-Woven ... dZViewItem

It's going cheap, and theres lots of it. It's triaxial, but 15oz, so I wanted to know if I'd be able to use it on skis.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

It's a little light, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could double up the layers and probably be good.

Kelvin
melvs

Post by melvs »

What is ideal for the 'weight' of the fiberglass? I have a friend who is working with me, and his father is involved with some fiberglass companies, so he can get us pretty much anything at a good prices.

Triaxial braid, and what else should he be looking for?
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

to be honest, i really don't know what the ideal weight for fiberglass would be. we've been using 22 oz. triaxial fiberglass and it seems to work really well.

after looking at some of the karhu/line and elan videos it seems as if they're using the same thing. it's hard to tell but it looks really close.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
melvs

Post by melvs »

what does the weight of the fiberglass effect? would a 'heavier' one be stiffer? I'm sure I can find out tons about it talking with people, just wanna get a sense of it if you know.
-Pat
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

The kind folks at vectorply helped me chose my product by looking at what ski/board mfgrs are using. Looks like pretty much everyone is using 22oz with a little 19oz mixed in here and there. I will be using 2 layers of 22oz on my skis. 2 layers of 19oz on my kids & 1 of each for my wife's. I think that there is a small increase of stiffness relative to increases in weight of the glass. Regarding the Triaxial proporties of. Make sure that your are getting strands oriented at 45*/0*/-45. One third of the fibers are orriented allong the length of the ski. There is triaxial fiberglass fabric with strands orriented to 45*/90*/45 which will not work properly. Also, fabric called "braided" is not prefferred. The up & down of bending over & under other bundles of fiber causes pinch points which weaken the glass. The fabric you procure should be "stitched" In this fabric the glass is laid down in three layers, one in each direction, then thread is stitched down the fabric binding the fiber bundles into place & creating the fabric.

I see no reason that the fabric that was availabe on that ebay auction couldnt be used. You would need to double it up though.