layup question

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigskis

layup question

Post by bigskis »

So we are starting in on this whole ski making thing and so far so good. We are thinking through the process and one question I came up with is how do you keep the core in place during layup and pressing it seems like it could move very easy while putting it in the press. should I prebend the tip tail?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I made a "pin-positionning" system : I glued 2 pieces of wood with a hole on it, between my cores . There are 2 pins on the mold, when I'm layering my skis, the bases sit on the mold with double-sided tape so they can't move and I just have to align the 2 wood pieces between the cores cores onto the 2 pins.
I don't know if it's clear but I'll take some pics tonight as I plan on pressing my skis tomorrow (so everything is prepared)

Ben

edit :

Here is the pic

I wanted to write an article about my progress today on the Goat-Ham-Ah Project but I'm too lazy tonight and I need good sleep for pressing tomorrow !
Anyway you can find pics of everything (including today's progress on my photo album : http://picasaweb.google.com/b.dalcas/Sk ... gGoatHamAh

cheers
uni412

Post by uni412 »

if you use inserts you can also glue a few of the inserts onto the base material and use them as "pins" to line up the core. once the core is in place you can then nail it onto the mold so it definately won't move
Wannabebuilder

Post by Wannabebuilder »

They show the 'nail tech' in pics in teh how to section although not very clear
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I'm working on the insert hole method described above. However, I think we will go to some type of dowels, because I think I can tack them onto the base while the core is sitting right on top of it so we will get perfect alignment instead of trying to mark things up and lose it in a bunch of guesswork.
Doug