The Triplets

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Grizzly Adams

The Triplets

Post by Grizzly Adams »

After setting up my shop and the relative success of my first pair of skis, http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1439, I decided to expand my production three fold and make three identical massive powderboards.

They are going to my brother, a good friend, and myself with the dimensions
205cm
150-130-144
and they are going to have all sorts of graphics schemes as follows:

My bros skis will be The Gnar Whales. Like their artic sea wandering bretheren, the narwhal, the Gnar Whales will excel in arctic conditions and may or may not have large protruding horns. The skis themselves will have light blue bases and the topsheets will appear wood grained. I plan to create a cool effect on the topsheet graphics by using a pyrography tool to enscribe the graphics and writing directly into the core. I will then cover the core with fiberglass and a clear topsheet which will both be transparent after pressing. I think its going to look flippin sweet.

My buddy's skis will be The Ulloranges. Like the Norse God of Skiing, Ullr, they will be very talented at skiing and also rather promiscuous. Unlike Ullr, however, they will be bright orange...EVERYWHERE. I was able to locate some orange base material and the topsheet will have some bright orange fabric beneath it as well. I've even been able to come up with some orange stain/varnish type stuff to touch up the otherwise wood grain sidewalls. His only request in the graphics department was "a touch of orange somewhere on the ski". Needless to say, he is going to get it.

Finally, my skis will be The Golden Eagles. Like their namesake, the trick I christened the golden eagle, they will be all business... but also all pleasure... SIMULTANEOUSLY (lets see Chuck Norris pull that one off). When properly executed, the trick looks a little something like http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos- ... 88_179.jpg . Given that it is my favorite trick and the only trick in my arsenal, these skis will be perfectly suited to throwing yooge (read: huge) golden eagles into the deepest of deep pow. I was fortunate enough to run across some gold metallic base material online and I plan to make the topsheet red, white, and blue with a smattering of metallic gold eagles.

The Gnar Whales are in the press right now!

More news to come later with lots of pics!
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

looking forward to the results. Be careful with all that orange... may prematurely melt the snow!
ra
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

rockaukum wrote:looking forward to the results. Be careful with all that orange... may prematurely melt the snow!
ra
Haha, that might not be a bad thing, I'd say these things are shaped more like a water ski ne ways.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

haha awesome maneuver! you should make a black silhouette of that, and make a diecut graphic or logo out of it ;).
Doug
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Pulled the Gnar Whales out of the press this weekend and they are absolute gems. Got them all cleaned and dressed up the next day and I was real pleased with the core-vision topsheet.
My bro modeling them
closeup of the base and topsheet
they are longer than the average ski

They came out really clean and pretty, but softer than i expected. After some thinking, i really shouldn't have profiled so thin (2-9-2), but given their intended use, i guess a little softness isnt the end of the world.

The ulloranges are cooking in the press as we speak so results will be soon to come!
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I got a chance to finish pressing and trimming the rest of the triplets last week and they came pretty damn beautiful looking.
Dimensions 205cm
150-130-145

The Ulloranges

miniROCKER
miniCamber

Shielding my eyes from their brightness

The Golden Eagles

hot off the press

Bases (thats genuine gold in there!)

sidecut and camber before final trimming
Image[/img]
plywood

Post by plywood »

pretty long sticks! i really like their grafics ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

looks nice. Where did you get the base material that is gold color?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

awesome work grizz
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i like that goldschlager base!!!

i was thinking of doing that with flies and other bugs, flypaper base ;)

when i laid up one board it was at nite and i was in a shed with the door open, all the bugs were swarming to the light above me, and periodically falling into the resin, there's probably 15 to 20 bugs in that board ;).
Doug
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I guess we will have to add insects to possible causes of delam right?

So I took a time lapse vid of me laying up the GOLDEN EAGLES and though its no different than any other layup I suppose, I figured it might be cool for people to see. You will notice that I threw lotsa rando glass in there to experiment/ try and make up for a core that was profiled a little thin.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

awesome!!
Doug