rockered mold design

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jlutz05

rockered mold design

Post by jlutz05 »

So my ski design has rockered tips and tails for about 25 cm in lentgh.

I am guessing that for my mold I need to encorperate more reverse camber than I actually want the ski to have?

I am thinking about a 3 or 4 cms of total rise along the 25 cm( not including tip radii), so should the mold have around 6 cm of rise?
Kevin6q

Post by Kevin6q »

How much extra camber is built into the mold to account for springback?
jlutz05

Post by jlutz05 »

im want my skis to be nice and snappy in the running length, so my mold will have around 25 to 30 mm of camber. I guess iI will just add the same amount of extra height to the rockered section? I dont want it to end up looking my my tips and tail are sticking straight up but at the same time i dont want a flat, dead section either.
plywood

Post by plywood »

i wouldn`t go that high.
i`d say: use some sort of snowboard-style tip (25cm long tip that rises up to 5cm) and a 30-35cm long section with rocker that rises continually up to 20, max. 30 mm. so that`s the shape of the ski in the end.

the whole relaxing-thing and falling out of shape...this really depends on the thickness of the cores you`re using and the amount of fibreglass etc. on my last skis i used cores that were 12mm under the binding and came down to 2mm - on a lenght of maybe 80cm. so the core was quite thick even in the area where i rockered the ski. i got a rocker of about 60cm lenght. it fell down 17mm - due to the thick cores.

so if you only rocker the foremost 30cm you should be fine with just adding some extra 5mm of rocker to the mold, something like that.

if you`re patient i`ll show you some pics of my new rockered mold. but i haven`t fully finished it, maybe at the end of the week...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
jlutz05

Post by jlutz05 »

thanks that was helpfu,l and ill build my mold more towards lay- up time so pictures would be sweet!
plywood

Post by plywood »

so, just managed to upload a short description:
http://skibuilders.com/cpg/albums/userp ... 040202.JPG
hope it helps you.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
jlutz05

Post by jlutz05 »

My mold is just about finished, and I should be starting up a ski journal sometime in the next couple of days with lots of pictures so check it out if your'e interested.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

I think heated ski presses will yield much less spring-back in the finished ski. I get mine cooking at 190 degrees F and they exhibit very little spring-back. I think heating the core above 170 changes the properties of the wood fibers, releases their memory. That's what they told me at a local Woodcraft store when I had a conversation about bending wood.

-S