Mama Deblam (not your old hippie sticks)

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Nick's Sticks

Mama Deblam (not your old hippie sticks)

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Summer skiing had been taking its toll on ski building time, but after a several month hiatus I got things up and running again. I was on the way back from making turns on Ptarmigan Ridge near Mt. Baker when Ullr, the skiing muse, inspired me to make a pair of skis for my mom. I am calling them Mama Dablam. My mom's previous pair of tele skis are what a Whistler ski tech in called "old hippie sticks." I thought I might replace them with something more modern and stylish.

The core tapers nearly all the way to the tip and is 2mm-11.5mm-2mm-ish with leftover blue tip spacers at the tip and red at the tail. I used a thickness planer to profile my cores. After making these I realized it was flexing a little so I am going to beef it up before the next pair.

Before attaching the edges I used my patented Subaru thermo-detensioner to help get the stress out of the ptex

I layed up the Mamas before pulling a graveyard at work. While sitting alone for the next 10 hours I had plenty of time to think of all the ways I could have messed things up BUT my worrying was for not. When I pulled them out this morning they looked good.

I will post some more pictures after I clean them up. And clean up my very small shop. Image
Idris

Post by Idris »

Nice looking planks - Coming from Europe thats a nice BIG shop.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Looks good!
Remembering a game when the kids were little... I spy... something in the corner that may be used for beer making? Always helps with the creative aspect in ski making.
Currently have 10 gallons brewing, 5 - IPA and 5 - California ale.
Cheers!
ra
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

CERN powered up the hadron collider the other night which meant that I didn’t get around to updating my journal entry. Since there was a chance that we were all going to be sucked into an expanding singularity I opted to wait until today to add my pictures. I didn’t want to be extracted from nothingness by an alien archeologist only to be immortalized as the guy uploading to flickr when earth came to an end. That said it seems like we are now in the clear so I have plenty of time to post a follow-up.

Here are the Mama Deblam’s after I cleaned them up. I used a shallow dovetail router bit to slightly bevel the sidewall in the mid section of the skis.

Image Image

The graphics are paper and cloth. The left ski (the green one) is just a paisley print cloth over a white backing. The other one is blue paper over white backing. The paper didn’t wet out as easily as the cloth and I got some bubbles under my topsheet but it seems like it bonded pretty well. The drawing is just a sharpie sketch. I really like the way the paisley came out. I think I am going to incorporate it or another paisley print in my next pair. I also plan to burn the name into the sidewall before I seal them.

I am embarrassed to say that I don't have any homebrew pouring right now. You might be interested in a photo of my bigger system though. If you count that then I have 790.5 gallons going. Cheers.

And bringing two great things together. Skiing and beer.
Image[/list]
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Can you say BEER ENVY!??
I can! Simply beautiful, and the skis too.
ra
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

I totally forgot to include the ski dimensions.

123-90-119
8mm camber

Cheers.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

I know who I'm visiting on my vacation!! :P
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.