school credit skis...The Recurve, or Maybe The ReCoast

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

plywood

Post by plywood »

i can only second that.
and your shape is really funny ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

Sweet looking skis. I love the topsheets. I have a question for you. What is on top of your mold? It looks orange and might be a heat blanket but I have never seen anything like that before?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I didn't think those would be skiable. That transition from camber to your tip is so sharp that I expected them to plow horribly. I bet that softness under foot is what saved you.

They look great, glad you like them. If you build another pair try and make that transition softer, I bet they feel better if you do.
jlutz05

Post by jlutz05 »

thanks for the comments...skis definatly have a weird shape, I was trying to make a powder ski that would also rip on groomers scince I ski in West Virginia primarily.

shopvac-

The orange stuff is a plastic called spectar (I think I spelled it right). It is made specifically for vacuum forming, and therefore has a very low heat tolerence. I ruined my first mold and needed to rebuild in one night and the spectar was some scrap laying around at school here...probably not the optimal material but it worked in a pinch.

doughboy-

your're talking about the earlyrise tip acting like a mini snowplow? are you mainly thinking about powder or anytype of skiing? I am planning on building some more this summer so I will definatly take your suggestions into consideration
camhard

Post by camhard »

I understand that people might be leery of the sharp rise for the rocker, but I'm actually pretty intrigued by it. In certain situations, I feel that it might work out pretty well. Im not totally sure why; I just imagine skiing them and have this feeling that they would be really fun. I think I will try it out.

Did you notice that the skis went slower than others? How was the chatter?
jlutz05

Post by jlutz05 »

This design has definatly been tons of fun for me to ski on. I made the steep rise in order to keep the tips and tails "out of the way" when carving on groomers, for playing around doing butters etc, and I figured it would help to push the ski above powder even more.

regarding the slowness....

Yes they are slower than other skis I ride, but I'm pretty sure that has everything to do with the fact that I have a only done a very rough base grind, no stone grind or anything like that.
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Surface skis out of cottonwood heights has a real similar profile for their rocker. They call it "three stage rocker" and I'm having a devil of a time finding a side view of it, but it looks exactly the same as these bad boys. Haven't ridden them yet, but people seem to be enjoying it.

rock and roll, sharp looking build.
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Surface skis out of cottonwood heights has a real similar profile for their rocker. They call it "three stage rocker" and I'm having a devil of a time finding a side view of it, but it looks exactly the same as these bad boys. Haven't ridden them yet, but people seem to be enjoying it.

rock and roll, sharp looking build.
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1764
camhard

Post by camhard »

huh... all the profile views have disappeared. they used to have some really good ones on the blog. this is all that's left though:

http://thesurfacelab.blogspot.com/searc ... results=10