Smoking Pump?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skiingfreak

Smoking Pump?

Post by skiingfreak »

I'm in the process of testing out my vacuum pump before I do a dry run with my bag. When I plug the line for like 2 seconds I start to see something that looks like smoke coming out of the oil fill/exhaust opening. It doesn't smell like anything is burning and the pump still seems to be working fine.
I've been reading around and maybe what i'm seeing is oil mist? Can anyone explain what that is?
Also, any chance I'm doing something wrong? The pump is brand new and has only been run the 5 or so times I've flipped it on just in testing/setup.
Thanks!
sammer

Post by sammer »

Mine oil smokes like crazy. Not sure if this is normal but the pump just keeps on purring for 12-14 hours stretches. No problems so far.I do keep mine outside with a long hose into the shop. Keeps the smoke outside and the pump and motor cooler. (plus the noise doesn't keep me awake at night)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
hafte

Post by hafte »

One thing to check is the oil level in the pump. The manual I have read through say that too much oil can cause that to happen.

Hafte
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hi Skiingfreak
Any smoke - a parameter of malfunction. It would be possible to assume that the pump new and at it the rests of greasing work. Bad and oil passes probably omentums on a rotor of the engine or on brushes?
;)
From R with l :)
Murchonn
davide

Post by davide »

The amount of oil getting out from the exhaust tube is proportional to the amount of air that is pumped out. If the pump is connected to a sealed bag, there will little smoke in the beginning and then no smoke. If the bag is not tight, there will be a lot of smoke coming out all the time. It is not bad for the pump, but check the oil level.
Wayne Bird

Smoking pump, oil mist

Post by Wayne Bird »

I work in a shop where we use vacuum pumps for lay ups and we have run into cantamination problems from the oil mist in the air, especially noticeable on parts that were in the shop uncovered, having oil contamination. So cover up other parts when using your vacuum pump :)