vacuum lay up: one or two skis at a time

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jlutz05

vacuum lay up: one or two skis at a time

Post by jlutz05 »

so whats is everyones opinion dealing with the effects of laying up one ski at a time vs both?

does laying up one at a time make inconsistencies in flex etc. more likely?

also it will be my first time laying up so will I feel too rushed trying to do both? I have fairly slow curing epoxy: west system 105 and 207.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I'm a believer in pressing both skis at a time. Doing that you are consistent within the same pair of skis, especially as I don't have an heated press so I can't really control my garage temperature or humidity...
I also profile both skis the same time (my router bridge is just twice larger) and pre-bend the tips the same time... I try to keep everything the same for both...

When you go "industrial" I don't think it's like that as you make many skis and try to match them afterwards.

Hope it helps.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I found laying up one at a time worked best for my first few skis
I didn't want the stress of trying to rush through.
I did machine my cores at the same time.
Both pairs of skis have so far turned out to be pairs. :)
Perhaps one day I'll build a wider mold and start vacuuming 2 at a time but until then 1 at a time works good for me.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
davide

Post by davide »

I always pressed one pair (sometimes two or three pairs in one time), but if you are more comfortable to press one ski after the other, do it.
When I made my very first pair, I weighted both skis before and after layup, to be sure I put the some amount of resin on both. This can help you to have same flex on both skis, if you press one after the other.