Snowchasers

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

MontuckyMadman wrote:I'm sure you know that pros did away with this diecut base process because of problems. Sublimated or otherwise clear base with a graphic layer is a possibly easier way to make your design on the base.
they look awesome way to bang it out.
Not true. Many manufacturers still use diecut bases. In fact, I would venture that more bases are done this way than otherwise.

Off the top of my head, Elan, Unity, Glissade, RadAir, etc...

Die cutting is still very much standard.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Well I guess I'm wrong.
It does in fact lead to problems, sometimes, where the dies meet on large graphics such as this. Armada had numerous problems with this. Line as well. It might be industry standard as far as you guys claim but there have been recalls and just because it may be doesn't mean its the best ya know.

I've never heard of these-Unity, Glissade, RadAir
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

all snowboard companies. Maybe that's the difference. Might be that on a wider platform the diecut is not subjected to the same forces? Didn't think about there being a potential difference between skis and snowboards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ9GFWLpt_E at about 2:10 they show how they do their die cuts at elan.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Woh..
"hope I don't fall in this giant thing"
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

look i still have mine both thumbs
Doug
brandt

Post by brandt »

Feels like he didn't have a manuscript for that one. :D
telexis

Post by telexis »

Ok... they are finally done!!

Right out of the mold!

Trimming them...

Finished product!

Me with them!

The base patterns were not perfect, but with some p-tex filling and a decent amount of grinding it is flat enough...

I am painting the sidewall with a urethane coating and I hope to ski them soon... it is now snowing in Tahoe so it shouldn't take long to get enough snow!

Alexis
plywood

Post by plywood »

i like this edgy shape in tip and tail. makes them look special! and also killer diecut grafic :D build more! it`s fun to watch ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Juanbendedknee

Post by Juanbendedknee »

I want this exact same ski, maybe with a 13mm core at center.

Beautiful job, btw.
telexis

Post by telexis »

Careful... a 13mm thick core underfoot will be HEAVY!! On a ski that large, 13mm is a lot of weight!

My final ski is 3mm at the tip and tail and 11.5mm underfoot... It is fairly stiff for a big guy like me but I am a little worry about its weight (2.7kg per ski). I haven't try them yet, but it feel a little heavy and I fear they might be hard to turn around!

The first version I built was 2mm at the tip/tail and that was super soft (but was also 500g lighter)! In fact, going from 2 to 3mm should at least triple the stiffness...

Alexis
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think you might be seeing a bit of excess epoxy in your ski if it weighs that much. I think a pneumatic press with a poplar core at 13mm at its thickest would not be that heavy.
plywood

Post by plywood »

my 182 with full ash core weighted 2600g, my 190 with a mixture of ash/fir core with 13mm core thickness underfoot resulted in 2400g which felt pretty light to ski. so they should ski fine...

but the difference of 500g is quite huge. i`d really try to track down where those 500g come from! it seems to be too much to explain with just the thicker core...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!