VDS Rubber

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

GrammasGarage

VDS Rubber

Post by GrammasGarage »

Does anyone know what exactly VDS rubber is?

I'm trying to find a local supplier of it, but it's tough when I can't tell them what I'm looking for.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Its black and thin and stretchy. Check the QCM topics he says a little about it.
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

iv been trying to find some myself. has anyone tried using self amalgamating rubber tape? its cheap and the right thickness.
GrammasGarage

VDS Rubber group buy

Post by GrammasGarage »

I found reference in other threads to a German company called Haberkorn.

I just talked to them, and they have a minimum order of around 1000m for about $0.50/m (1" strip). It's a great price, but too much rubber for me to use. Would anyone be interested in a group buy?
Three31

Post by Three31 »

VDS rubber stripping is used as a shear layer to help prevent delam. I would be cautious about using anything that isnt designed specifically for use with epoxy. VDS is designed to bond to Epoxy. If your not sure that "amalgamating rubber tape" will bond to epoxy, dont use it.
Brian
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

yeah Brian that was a big concern of mine was bonding. anytype of silicon is going to make for a very bad bond. i was reading this page though

http://www.fabian.com.mt/SELFAMALTAPE.HTM

and half way down it says "They are compatible with epoxy and acrylic resin systems." im not sure if thats all AMALGAMATING tapes. I don't want to risk a whole board 2 try out a new tape.

the tape ran for about 1 dollar per 50ft. quite cost effective.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Interesting idea, but I don't think you will get a good bond, and I would expect the tape to deform under pressure.

As far as reaction to epoxy they are referring to electrical splicing. I was with a crew that cut through a cable containing thousands of twisted pair for phone line. They made all the splices and then used an epoxy kit to encapsulate the connection. They can use self amalgamating tape because the epoxy doesn't effect the bond of the tape to itself. As mentioned further down in that page
The tapes will remove cleanly from most surfaces when cut, allowing them to be used as a temporary insulation/protection.
So basically you can build a damn around the spliced wires with this tape, and then pour the epoxy in.

As with every question regarding whether a material will bond properly, just build a test segment. Thinking outside of the box is all good.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I've tried bonding a few types of rubber.
Thought rubber tip spacers would be a good idea.
But.... first I tried rubber gasket material. sanded it with 80 grit, washed with acetone. Came apart the first time I flexed it.
Next tried a piece of car inner tube. It bonded better but after flexing it 20 or 30 times I was able to pull the fibreglass (triax) layer right off. Then the piece of base material pulled off.
Now I'm gonna stick with the tried and true VDS. (over edges)
P-tex tip spacers bond really well.
I'd say try everything. When your done with your lay-up use your left over epoxy to experiment. You just never know :D

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)