Polycarb?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Bluehouseskis

Polycarb?

Post by Bluehouseskis »

Has anyone had any experience with polycarb for a topsheet? Or does anyone know if it can be used? I really like the finish and look of it but i'm not sure if it would bond very well. I talked to some plastics guys that said it has its own special glue but would probably bond with epoxy. It just seems like a good option for a topsheet (lots of strength, very durable). Right now I'm deciding between p-tex and polycarb. Also what thickness would I need? and would I have to abrade it?
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I'm in your same shoes SLC. Check out page 2 of my journal for this same qustion & the KKK's answers. Judging by thir failure with polycarb & success with P-tex I think I am just going to go with the p-tex. OTOH I brought home some samples of polycarbonate to do some test laminations with. I think it would be great if we knew for sure it would bond adequately. Perhaps the heated press will result in better bonding & allow the durable use of polycarb. I have really been frustrated by the plastics side of the project lately. I had hoped to use local suppliers for the plastic's & wood. Now I've pretty much resigned myself to ordering the sidewall/tipspacer ABS and topsheet materials from Durasurf(crown plastics). Little Kam raised the great point that it's easier to get it all from one place. I hope that shipping doesn't cost to awful much on the longer ABS sidewall pieces.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

We tried polycarb and it doesn't bond very well. I did a test piece with our heated press and it still does not bond. If you have access to a sandblaster, I think it would work much better than a random orbit sander.

-kelvin