Heated Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Slarver

Heated Press

Post by Slarver »

First let me say great job on this site!!! I am attempting to build a heated press and have a couple questions. What temp range can you press at? I checked the firehose ratings on rawhidefirehose.com and the rubber hose is not rated as high as I would like, is this a problem? or can you place a barrier in between the hose and the ski to deflect heat? My first idea was to place the heating element (silicone pad) inbetween two firehoses above the ski and have the heat transfer down to the ski. A small local snowboard company does it this way. Now I worry the hose can not take the heat. But then I saw the heated press info posted on this site and that looks better. How is it working?

Thanks for the input

KO
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

The heated press works great! Check out this link for more discussion
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=131

We have a sheet of uhmw on top of our skis and a 1/8" layer of hardboard on top of that. This does a good job of isulating the hose from the heat. The aluminum in our mold is very hot to touch, but the hardboard is just slightly warm.

-kelvin