Recurve Camber Snowboard Project

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Adroit707

Post by Adroit707 »

Just got back from shredding. The board turned out really fun to ride. It took a while to get used to the camber on it. Its very different and the riding was waaayyyyy different from my regular camber board. It felt a little harder to grip the snow at first but after a while it got better. By the end of the night it felt perfect. One thing i really like about it is the ease of pressing and rotations on and off of boxes and rails. This thing is great. Love it. I did have some problems though. Due to all the flexing the the topsheet layer started to come off. From the tail to the back binding its all just flopping around and the same goes for the nose to the front binding. The nice part though is that the graphic really does a good job of keeping the water out. The fixative on the paper caused a bad bond with the topsheet but kept water out very good:)

Chris, so heres what i recommend. First id look on the neversummer website and find out when they are doing some demo's around your area. It would be a really good idea to try and demo and get a look and feel for the board before u make one yourself.

As for designing the rocker/camber shape for a mold rib I used AB Viewer.
http://www.cadsofttools.com/en/products/abviewer.html

On the program you can create all of the cambers by using the arc tool. I had 5 total arcs. 1 for tail, 1 from tail to back binding, 1 for inbetween bindings, 1 from front binding to nose, and one for nose section. I just approximated all of the shapes. If youd like to see my design im willing to send it to you as a pdf to get the feel for it.

I used the demo version of AB Viewer to do this so when you export it as a PDF it will have some logos on it but it wont get in your way.

One thing to note on AB Viewer. For some reason the program sets the default to something like 1 unit= 1.17cm. The first time i printed the rib template it was wait to short so just make sure that the units are 1:1.

Im hoping to get another board built soon and ill let everyone updated on the progress..
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I would suggest peeling the rest of the pastic top sheet off and then lightly sanding your graphics layer with fine grit paper and apply urethane for a sealer. Probably work pretty good.
Adroit707

Post by Adroit707 »

I might just leave it as is. The graphic seems to be holding water out pretty well even though the topsheet is coming off. Idk ill take a look at it again later today and decide what ill do then.