first timer safety question

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Boomer3

first timer safety question

Post by Boomer3 »

I'm a high school senior and I just built my first press with the supervision of professionals. I've inflated my air bladder to 20psi to test it out. everything seems to be fine, but i dont want to inflate more than i have to. My question is how much pressure is needed to make a quality pair of skis? If i'm going to make the skis, i want enough pressure to make them come out right but i'm very concerned about saftey. please help me.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Safety first. Right on!!! That is the perfect attitude to approach using an air bladder press.

When I used my air bladder press, I ran at about 40 psi and was quite satisfied with the results. My vacuum press runs at about 13 psi, and again, quite satisfied. However, for a bladder press, I would say that from my experience, anything over 40 psi isn't that necessary as long as you don't have a lot of clearance between the ski and the top mold.
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

agreed, i press @ about 40-45psi as well.
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

why are the big dogs at like 80 then??
brandt

Post by brandt »

As "SHIF" once wrote:

Qoute from Volkls homepage: "All components are baked together in the ski press at 100 °C and 9 bars of pressure for 36 minutes."

That's just over 130 psi.

http://www.voelkl.com/index.cfm/en/372/Factory-Tour-3
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

cuz they want to sound awesome by using incredible psi.

under 50psi will get you a nice clean glossy top, if you go higher you'll get that cross-hatched imprint underneath from the glass. But I actually like how that looks.

We press at 60psi. Simply because I know that works. I havent built enough to know any better really.
Doug
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

you gotta figure that more pressure = more epoxy pushed out of your layup = less weight = more homogeneous layup

@ the point that I'm at, I'm alright with a slightly heavier ski as long as its still of good quality and durability... but to be honest, the idea of a huge pressurized bomb sitting on top of my beloved home builts @ 150deg scares the shit out of me.

If it aint broke, dont push the envelope?
Its a good thing cold smoke doesn't give you cancer.