New England Builders

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MonoskierX

New England Builders

Post by MonoskierX »

Are there any builders here in New England? I"m considering trying to build my own skis but don't know exactly whats involved with it

Erik
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

I work primarily out of Poland, Maine.
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

And I am located in the Netherlands...
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple
teleman36

new england builders

Post by teleman36 »

I am in Worcester, MA. Would be glad to have you drop by.
mattman

Post by mattman »

we are in somersworth, nh (near UNH)...but are up in the littleton area every weekend. usually skiing cannon. littleton might be closer for you, but if you are in the south we can show you some of our tooling. let us know!
skidesmond

New England Buildes

Post by skidesmond »

I'm new to skibuilders. I'm in Southampton Mass. I've been reading lots of posts the last month or so. I'm going to be building some skis this year and hope to have a pair worthy of actually skiing on by next winter. I'm looking for ideas for a ski press I can build myself. I've seen some of the one posted here built from steel. Wow! While I'd love to have one of those, it would be very difficult to build, ie maneuver that much steel into my basement. Plus I'd have to learn how to weld. So I might end up with a vaccum press or build a press out of glulams... How about you guys? Where are you in the process?
bigskis

Post by bigskis »

Stowe Vt.
benwhiteskis

Post by benwhiteskis »

i'm in essex, MA
craigteles

Post by craigteles »

Hey krp8128,

I am in Windham for the year. I am really interested in building a press and ultimately a pair of skis. Do you have a press up and running?
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

craigteles wrote:Hey krp8128,

I am in Windham for the year. I am really interested in building a press and ultimately a pair of skis. Do you have a press up and running?
Not really. I'm finishing up my last 6 months of college in Rochester NY.

I brought every tool I won back out here with me, the only thing I left at home was my old vacuum mold
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

I'm not doing ski's but am doing snowboards in Stafford county in NH, bout 25min from gunstock
craigteles

sorry I missed your posts

Post by craigteles »

Hey krp8128 and jvangelder,

Sorry I missed your posts, I have been looking for replies in my e-mail and on the forum login but I guess it only notifies if you originate the thread. Anyway, I am still trying to forge through all the information on this site and of course keeping an eye out for materials for cheap. jvangelder, I hiked gunstock last week just to check out the new guns they were putting up and scout for some snow on top, found a few tiny stashes tucked away in the shade. I will be back that way sooner than later and I would love to check out your setup. How are you pressing your boards currently? krp8128, good luck with school, make those 6 months last. . . be in touch, thanks for the replies
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

We are using a press i bought from a guy in upstate NY, its a ibeam press with 4 wattlow blankets and a 8" wide blatter pressing around 180* with around 80ish psi in the blatter for around 30min

Id love to show you the press sometime, ill have to clear it with the property owner due to the fact we are tucked away in a friend of a friends garage on there parents property, sucks for doing show and tell's but the $20 a month rent for a 20x40 garage isnt bad... :D

Must have missed you at gunstock, were camping out for first chair

Ill talk to my partner tommorow and get ahold of the owner and make sure its cool

Quick teaser of our shop currently (not done insulating)

-Jacob
craigteles

You might be there a while. . .

Post by craigteles »

Jacob,

haha, nice pics dude, you will be happy to know that I did find some snow on top when we hiked but it might be a little bit before you are out testing boards. Your shop looks legit, I have no heated space so I am wicked jealous. The flat screen is definitely essential. How do the core profiles of your boards compare to a ski as far as thickness goes? Are you drawing up plans or are you using an autocad program? I would love to check out the setup if the landlord OK's it. Let me know if it's a possibility.

-Craig
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I'm out of New Gloucester, ME. Going to school up in Orono however but I just finished my press frame this past weekend.