Anyone have 1.7 mm base material?

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Powforbreakfast.

Anyone have 1.7 mm base material?

Post by Powforbreakfast. »

I just received 200 edges from CDW that have a 1.7 mm step. I have been organizing (or at least trying to) a shipment of some custom base material from crown plastics for over a month now. When i found out my edges were ready, i requested a 20 meters or so of ANYTHING they have to i could press and use skis in the meantime. Long story short, their customer service is horrible and ridiculously slow. Three weeks ago, i was told it would ship out the following day... After numerous calls, and my most recent one yesterday, i find out, it's most likely shipping out mid January.... For something that's already made and treated on the shelf. Monopolies for the win! So, does anyone by chance have ANYTHING in the neighborhood of 1.7 mm. thick base that i can buy? I just really have been anxious to get my next run of skis rolling and test 'em out. Long shot, but i don't know where else to look and i've had bad experiences with slapping two layers of normal thickness stuff together... unless you've got a good method that you could enlighten me with. Thanks!
Idris

Post by Idris »

One idea, use the base you already have. Then file/grind the edge down to match after pressing?
Powforbreakfast.

I had thought about that, but one concern: i know that .4 mm is little difference, but I'm concerned about getting sufficient pressure from the bottom of the ski spread evenly. The steel is rigid, and the base will occupy whatever space it wants to in the .4 mm of error. If anyone has tried this and it's turned out okay, then problem solved, but i've never heard of this.
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

Pow, Where are you located? I would be interested in a trade if you are at all close to me. (denver) get back with me.
Powforbreakfast.

heliski989 wrote:Pow, Where are you located? I would be interested in a trade if you are at all close to me. (denver) get back with me.
I think I'm a ways away, I'm in Washington state. I could organize shipping if you are remotely interested... i'll shoot you a pm as well, but what do you have? Thanks!
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

pow, i have a few meters of some .067 base material. i have been looking to get some edges but have not made an order yet. im sure you are looking for more than i have but i may be willing to get you going.