The first one...........

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Revisiting the post and had a question for you. What are you doing to seal / protect the board?
ra
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

nothing.

I am using white abs topsheets and p tex sidewalls so there is no need to seal anything with urethane or the like.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Got it.
Is there any way to check for air bubbles under the top sheet? I ask because I have the clear UHMWPE and if the air bubbles are trapped they show and also weaken the bond / strength. So I guess what I'm looking for is your solution to no air bubbles?
thanks and the board look good!
ra
doughboyshredder

I have not been able to see any air bubbles reflected in the gloss top sheet and, I am not expecting air bubbles to be an issue for a few reasons. First of all is that I use a serrated spatula to spread out the resin on the base and the wood core. This helps make sure you don't have any pools of resin on the flat surfaces, while still leaving enough resin to glue everything together.

I also mix my epoxy with a steel paddle in the end of a drill bit for 3 minutes. There are little to no air bubbles after mixing for that long.

And, I am pressing at above 50psi at the laminate.

Are you getting a bunch of air bubbles?

Are you wetting out your top sheet with a flat paddle (spatula)?

I do not wet out the top sheet, for ease of handling, but suggest that if you are wetting out the top sheet that you use a serrated paddle, and see if that makes any difference.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I got a few, Nothing great but none the less, I stopped using the top sheet just to avoid the potential problems. I have had requests for using it and if I do, I want to be sure (as best as can be) that I don't get the voids.
As far as wetting out the lay-up, I use scrap pieces of base material to spread the epoxy.
When you say a "serrated spatula" are you referring to something like what is used to spread thinset or mortar when working with tile (only plastic)?
I put epoxy on the top of the core and then the glass and then on the graphic (cloth) then lay out the top sheet.
Also, Are you mixing up the whole batch of epoxy at once? Or do you mix it up in batches? I do it in batches for fear of it setting off faster than I want.
Again, Thanks for the information.
ra
doughboyshredder

I use left over base material also. I cut one of my paddles with the ridge profile just like those mortar spreaders you are talking about. And, yes I mix the epoxy in one batch, which gives me about 20 - 30 minutes to work with it.

To save time I lay the entire board up dry, and then remove the pieces one by one to the prep station. This makes wet layup go faster as everything is layed out in front of you.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Okay,
Next pressing I will try the ridged type of spreader and see how this works. I too have all the materials set and ready to go next to the layup. however I have been mixing on a as needed basis. Maybe I'll try the full mix also to see if this speeds things along while reducing the air problems.
Thanks!
ra