Backcountry Freestyle 166 with straight line.

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

Backcountry Freestyle 166 with straight line.

Post by doughboyshredder »

Straight line is my answer to magnetraction, vario grip, equalizer, etc...

Basically the sidecut is radiused from the contact point to the insert pack, then straight to the center point.

This was a mistake on the first board that happened because of my dowel placement. But, it worked. really good.

This is a 166 semi twin

Running length is 126 cm.
Waist is 26.7
Sidecut radius 8.5 / 9 / 8.5
Tail is 2 cm shorter than the tip.

Layup is 20oz triax, 3 oz cf reinforcement, vds, core, sidewalls, kevlar, 20 oz triax, topsheet.

CF is in a x between the bindings. Kevlar runs full length vertically.

iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

are you precutting your fiberglass to shape to allow you to lay the sidewalls up with the core?

also, how has bonding been with the sidewalls? no issues.

boards look good.
doughboyshredder

I am precutting the fiberglass to within about 1/2 an inch of the board shape, but it still has to be folded up and over the wood retainer. Surprisingly glass gets so thin when wetted out that it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Bond is phenomenal. I now have 3 days on my 177 and String has 2 days on this 166, including today. We did the southwest face of Granite and it was outstanding. Report is that this board absolutely kills it. My 177 was great, but I need more than a 10.5 meter sidecut on a board that short. We had to do the usual bushwacking nightmare run out and both boards ran over many tree branches and a few rocks, everything is holding up good.

I am using qcm and pressing for 45 minutes at 80 celsius and 60psi. Boards have retained 100% of their camber.
allyson

Post by allyson »

nicely done!
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Nice man. glad to hear it all working out.

Next time I am up in WA I will shoot you a pm. We can meet up and talk shop/have a beer/make some turns.
Dj Dziq

Post by Dj Dziq »

looks nice :)
doughboyshredder

thanks for the nice comments :D

iggyskier, it would be great to get together and talk shop over a beer or some turns.

Met up with headmonkey the other night and must say it was awesome talking with someone that's as in to this as I am. Sharing ideas is great.

Which reminds me, if anyone wants to try straight line, please do.
Dj Dziq

Post by Dj Dziq »

What kinds of wood did U use in core ?
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

It was rad to meet you up at alpental. The board looked really clean. Hope you got some more turns before the lift shut down. Arc 'em and spark 'en.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
doughboyshredder

another one is in the press as I type. Layup went good. I spent a lot of extra time on this one trying to make sure everything comes out perfect. I think it should come out great.

This one is another 166. I love this shape. I plan on building the same shape in an 88 and maybe a 99 for next year.

Layup was a tad different in that I did not use any cf or kevlar reinforcement. 20oz triax top and bottom. vds over the edges. CF retention for the inserts. Black base, one black sidewall, one red sidewall, red tip/tail inserts, white topsheet.

I managed to router my sidewalls for the edge tines without attaching the sidewalls to anything. I used a router table and a block and pulled the sidewall through the block, allowing the cutting head to shave a tiny amount. worked great. 45 more minutes, and she's done.
doughboyshredder

almost perfect. Seems impossible to not get topsheet dimples. Tiny, but still they bug me. Sidewalls look about perfect, but I could have shaved another micrometers worth off of there, based on imprinting of the edge tines through the base. Stoked. Gotta get her cut out and down to snoboard connection.
doughboyshredder

Wow! 99.9% perfect. So stoked.

Two issues. #1 I didn't put the top aluminum plate for the cassette in and amazingly you can see imprints from the cat track. Faint, and if you weren't looking you wouldn't know.

#2 : temp sensor for top blanket wasn't attached in a good spot, and this board has way more camber than I want. I already flexed the dded out of it, attempting to break down the camber to no avail. As soon as I can afford it, I will be following headmonkeys advice and getting new temp sensors.