skibras

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

skibras

Post by rockaukum »

Here is the latest ski. I call them the skibras. Graphics will be applied after my creative consultant (son) comes up with the design. The skis are 128-90-116 and 176CM long. This ski was designed to be an all montain ski.
Construction is as follows:
4001 base
vds over edges
triax
wood core with wood sidewalls (poplar with three ash stringers, two bigger stringers on the outside and one thin one in the middle) . the cores are bookmatched.
triax
cloth graphics
three coats of acrylic poly-u
Overall I am pleased with the outcome of the skis. The bases will be done this weekend and hopefully I will be able to ski them next week (after the powder is gone...)
I will post an update after they see the snow!
ra
camhard

Post by camhard »

wait... is there a plastic topsheet, or is it just polyurethane over the cloth? how did you apply it? is it very smooth? how does the durability seem?
plywood

Post by plywood »

sweet grafics!
i`m also interested to get a little more info on the topsheet and how it holds up!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Aren't those a little bit narrow? :)

Looks great!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I'll pick the skis up from the shop on Sunday (base work) and hope to try them out next week. However if it keeps snowing I'll put it off in hopes of skiing more of the soft stuff with the bigger skis.
The "top sheet" is not a top sheet at all. Here is what I am doing, On the lay up, the last part is the cloth layer (graphic) and then press. After the flash is cut and the sidewall trimed, I have used a Poly Urethatne (high Gloss) to protect the ski from the sun ect..
Application was simple but time consuming. I used a foam brush to apply and did it in someawhat thin coats. The stuff went on with a milky appearence, then dried clear. There are three coats total with plenty of cure time in between. If memory serves me correctly, I used 100, 220, an then 400 (or 600) grit sand paper inbetween coats.
When applying the poly, it went on with lines from the foam brush and then kinda filled in on its own. So the outcome is smooth and the sanding helps with this also.. I will try to post claose ups of the tops when i get them back.
I plan on having my designer (son) draw up some labels soon and I plan on sanding the surface and applying the graphics with the poly. So I will post the results of that too.
I haven't skid these yet but the other skis have a urethatne coating and seem to be fine. However I have a nasty habit of the tips runnig on each other (tele) and there is wear in this area. The solution would be to recoat the skis, But what the heck... Just build another pair!
Yes they are a bit narrow. I was looking for a good all mountain ski and after reviewing other makes and models, I setteled on this size. NO sientific reasoning or thought, just did it. Hoping these will be alot of fun on the firmer days!
Olng the lines of ski size... any imput on the leverage aspect of a fatter ski? Taking alot more leverage to actully carve a wider ski. Taking into account the binding width and the width of the ski... I got into a debate with a friend who was skiing the "Goose" skis (104 waist) and he was commenting on the leverage aspect and the amount of additional work it takes to get the ski on edge and hold it there...
ra
voodoo

look ma no topsheets

Post by voodoo »

I like the idea. I was thinking of a similar idea.

Let me know how they hold up so I can plan on going th same route or bite the bullet and buy some top sheets.

I whould think this method would save cost and weight.

thanks for posting.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

By the look of things (storms all week) it may be a while before I get to try them out on some firmer snow. I will post at that time. However I have some skis that have been coated with SPAR Urathatne. These skis have been put throught the ringer and have shown some wear at the tips where the skis seem to rub together. I must say at this point that Hydrant71 (?) has been using this process also, this is where I got the inspiration. Check out his boards, they look great!
ra