Climbing Skins???

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

telehead

Climbing Skins???

Post by telehead »

Has anyone out there made skins? There has to be a way to do it cheaper than $180.00. I think the BD skins are some kind of "Mohair??" just thought i would throw that out into the ski building world, any ideas? Thanks....
endre

Post by endre »

what about cow
danishstock

Post by danishstock »

Do those pythons that are overrunning Florida have scales? I think they are growing them long and fat enough to make scary cool climbing skins. Though I could see trouble with holding them still while applying Gold Label! ;)
Juanbendedknee

Post by Juanbendedknee »

Try Climbingskinsdirect.com
squishmitten

Post by squishmitten »

I got a pair of BD skins for $75 precut for a slightly smaller ski than mine. I am fairly light, and there is plenty of surface area. I got them at the local gear exchange (gearx dotcom)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

endre wrote:what about cow
thats a good idea!
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

My girlfriend's latest cross country skis have a part "fishscale" base. This works the same as a skin, stops the ski sliding backwards. Anyone know whether this idea is crossing over into touring ski design? Would be great not to need skins! Probably would slow the ski on downhill runs? But by how much, and if not a lot, what a time saver it could be...
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Did this a while ago. Here are pics...
Works great. Only problem I had was I went too deep, so you are right... slow on the downhill but fun non the less traveling without skins. The last skis will get the same treatment only a bit more shallow cuts.
ra
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

Rockaukum, I remember seeing this in the other thread. I always thought this was a great idea and wanted to give it a go myself on a split board.
Its reassuring to hear they went well (albeit needing to be not as deep) :D
stenmark

Just...

Post by stenmark »

..home from Haute Route.....I hate skins, crampons or whatever needed to climb uphill...for now.. ;)
I will do the trip next year aswell, but with the right equipment. Eg. lightweight.

Anyone, any ideas for randoneé skis? Lightweigth material and dimensions.
kirol

Post by kirol »

lancelot wrote:My girlfriend's latest cross country skis have a part "fishscale" base. This works the same as a skin, stops the ski sliding backwards. Anyone know whether this idea is crossing over into touring ski design? Would be great not to need skins! Probably would slow the ski on downhill runs? But by how much, and if not a lot, what a time saver it could be...
Im pretty sure that would work to well on anything very steep.
benwhiteskis

big fishscales

Post by benwhiteskis »

could you just layer your base material so there was overlap, kind of like shingles or whatever so that there was a lip on the tail side of the piece of base material? do you get what i mean?