check out surface ski for next year

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

voodoo

check out surface ski for next year

Post by voodoo »

http://www.newschoolers.com/web/content ... s_id/2500/

scroll down to see the progressive rocker on the surface ski
endre

Post by endre »

The ones on the left would be the opposite of "progressive rocker" as I see it, (or do you mean progressive as in "new kind of shape")
camhard

Post by camhard »

this year's live life two has similar rocker to the one on the left. looks pretty neat.
voodoo

YEAH

Post by voodoo »

I think they are making the tip even more dramatic this year over last year. I had heard they were going to actually do away with the rear rocker for this year, but looks like the rumors aren't true.
Steevner

Post by Steevner »

It's actually a "technology" snagged form the world of wakeboarding and wakeskating. That's called a "3 stage rocker", as it has 3 different angled platforms. I think the best part about it is the increased contact area of the ski for riding groomers and park.
plywood

Post by plywood »

those kinks are just retarded, no matter if 3stage rocker or not. powder is not water. and even water doesn`t flow kinked ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Steevner

Post by Steevner »

Don't knock before you try it. It gives a much more stable platform and wicked pop for ollies.
I think it might be interesting to try with skis. Think about the performance on hardpack! I don't think it'd be BAD in powder either.
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

those skis look stupid. who cares if it skis good on hard pack, it's a powder ski
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

plywood wrote:those kinks are just retarded, no matter if 3stage rocker or not. powder is not water. and even water doesn`t flow kinked ;)
Dont be so sure. DC is using this on their MLF boards. Not the rocker, but the radius to flat (kinky). Lib used it long ago. Supposed to help the boards plane.

who knows. I think anything works in pow if it's wide enough.
stenmark

Post by stenmark »

So "kinky" is flat or vice versa or...I'm just trying to catch up with the lingo.
On th other hand I just think the skis looks amazing. I wouldn't even come up with that idea. I'm just and old racer brought up on ice. So I'm chasing the optimal carve. Have no or little exp. on powder.
Steevner

Post by Steevner »

j-raw wrote:those skis look stupid. who cares if it skis good on hard pack, it's a powder ski
What makes you think it'll be a bad powder ski?
plywood

Post by plywood »

i know i know i didn`t ski them, i didn`t try them.

BUT
first of all it looks to me like "uh, oh, rocker is so hot right now, we gotta have rockered boards, so lets just kink our regular skis and let`s name it in a fancy way!" - this is more of a general rant, there are quite a lot of companies with "rockered" skis that look like this.

secondly: my first attempt to rockered boards looked a bit like this. just with maybe about 1/5 of the ridiculous kink they built in. so i can imagine pretty good how they ski. of course those won`t ski bad - how could they at those dimensions?! but they`re lightyears away from a völkl kuro for example.

and lastly: a powder ski will nere ski GOOD on hardpack. it may be "pretty managable" or "quite good for such a fat bastard", but never, under no circumstances, anything like good ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
endre

Post by endre »

I agree with plywood here, those rockers will suck bloody panties. Why do they want to make skis with corners? Why not a simple, rounded rocker? This smells "look at me" a loong way.
Steevner

Post by Steevner »

my 3 stage rocker wakeskate is way more fun than my continuous rocker one, so I'm sold.
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

why don't you ski on your cool wake skate then?