High Noon

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

j-raw

High Noon

Post by j-raw »

hope that worked i'm computer stupid
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

nope didn't work. now i have to ask how to post pictures. i read the forum rules about posting pictures and thought i had it figured out. will someone help me i have like 50 pictures that i have been meaning to post and i don't know how.
jlutz05

Post by jlutz05 »

right click on your picture and then go to properties.....copy and paste the link that is under properties between the [img] thingers.
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

Nice work dudes...
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

if your pictures are on flickr, you have to first click on the picture and then click on all sizes before you grab the url. You can then pick any of the sizes that flickr offers you.
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

Alright, I figured it out.
So here it is. I've been working in the ski lab for over six months now and I'm finally getting around to posting. First, I'd like to say thanks to skibuilders and all of the people who post on this forum. I've learned a lot here, it's an increadible resource. To anyone who's just thinking about starting to build skis I'd say go for it. However, know that you will spend way more time and money then you could have ever imagined. Totally awesome experience though.

So the first pair of skis turned out as good as I could have ever hoped.

specs:
-155-120-145 (length 185)
-reverse camber (80cm of flat under foot with 2cm of rocker to the tip and 1.2 cm of rocker in the tail)
-maple core (3mm tip, 10mm, 2.5mm tail)
-layup- 4001 base, 22oz. triax, core, 22oz. triax, topsheet
-stuck it all together with QCM epoxy at 40 psi at room temp. (48 hours)
-maple side walls and no tip or tail spacers. (trying to keep it simple at first)

enough said, here's the pics

bottom mold action

core assembly
looks like i painted that thing with epoxy ( i used way too much glue )
ski core and an apple core
things I learned: epoxy will melt cups if you let it sit for too long!
test running the press, didn't blow up the garage so i'd say success
this is not the best way to pre-bend cores, but it works

mold with metal cassette thingy (I think you could call it a cassette)

I need about 20 more squeezy clamps and i'll be set

layup action (this is the coolest part, I love it!)
I know, he should be wearing a mask. I think he likes the fumes, thanks for the help Volbs.
first ski out of the press ready for a base grind
finished product

I'm 5'10" so the skis are huge for me, but they ski like 170s in the pow
the old and the new

So that about sums up my first set. Now that i finished them I'm helping my buddy build a set for an Architecture class at the college. I know, building skis for an architecture class seems weird but this kid knows how to work the system at the university. Building the same set but this time using gloss white topsheet and neon green base. We also didn't do a full edge wrap on these. The edge ends about half way around the tip and tail. If anyone has any advice on this 3/4 edge wrap thing I'd love to hear about it. We pretty much just ended the edges and smashed everything together in the press. I was thinking it would be nice to have some sort of spacer material in the tip of something along those lines. Either way, we just pulled the first one out of the press last weekend so here it is.

Using boxes of tile to make sure the core didn't lift. (scientific procedures)

total shop disaster
gettin base ready for edges

layup time

hot off the press
let it snow
new ski sitting on old ski

Thats it thats all. I posted a lot of pictures cause that's what I like to see on this forum. Hopefully they will be help full to someone someday.
So as for the skis, I've got 3 days on them now and they are some of the funnest skis i've ever rode. Hopefully we get a big dump soon so I can try them out for real.
Last edited by j-raw on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

damn it, it just worked when i tried it with the single picture. WTF.
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

thanks doughboy. had to select a smaller size picture off flickr. Is their a better site to post pictures on so i don't have to click a million times like on flickr?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Great job ! Those look awesome ! Very clean work.

Could you post more pics of your press ? any deflection ? (I don't think so..)
I love the way you pre-bend your core, do you steam it and let it dry under constrain ? I did like that (without such a nice setup though) and it worked great.
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

ben,
There is no visible deflection in the press and it seems super solid. As for the core bending, I screwed the core to the top mold for the press and slowly bent it into shape using boiling water and a hair dryer. I am in the process of building a stem box to eliminate the hair dryer step. Hot water and a hair dryer are NOT the way to bend wood, but if it's all you got it will work. I think I actually learned that one from a post by sammer, thanks man. You just have to go really slow when bending and once you get it how you like, let it sit for at least several hours and it will hold most of it's shape.

Here are a few more pics of the press and ghetto core bending process. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture of anything particular on the press and I will post it.

SRP

Post by SRP »

Nice job!! They look great, especially for the first pair. I like the size and shape. Good luck with the next one.
plywood

Post by plywood »

just from the look: i bet those skis kick ass in powder. just add a little tapering in tip and tail for the next pair and they`ll ski better than anything else. really sweet rocker, you got the point ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
AllanCheateaux

Post by AllanCheateaux »

I've built alot of hollow wood surfboards, which have a fair amount of prebending involved.

We've used a towel and steam iron and it works pretty good.

Where are you gys located if you dont mind me asking?
I try to echo the ethos of my white trash biker relatives... build it, dont buy it...
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Rocker done right. Nice work.