Do you like my Carbon Fiber?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Slant

Do you like my Carbon Fiber?

Post by Slant »

HI, Just found some unidirectional 8.9oz carbon fiber. Does any one have an opinion of how well it would work for this fiber used as one layer and maybe using some triaxial glass on the other layer?
carbonsalesDOTcom/Unidirectional-Carbons-8.9oz-300gsm/

I am using vertical grain bamboo cores and I am trying to keep the boards light as possible for the strength.

Thanks for the input

-Slant
airhoag

Post by airhoag »

I see it comes in a 24" width. The problem with unidirectional is that it is very difficult to cut it into smaller widths and keep it together. I tried it before and as soon as I cut it, the fibers started falling away.

I haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking if I taped the area that I was cutting, it would hold the fibers together. Or, you can just look for material in smaller widths.
Slant

Post by Slant »

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe if I cut it to the length I want and keep the width the same throughout (ski width) and try to cut along the lengthwise strands. I think I'm gonna give it a shot anyways...
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

It should hold together when split lengthwise into six inch strips because it has the hot melt binder in the fill direction.

I use similar uni-carbon in my ski lay up, two layers of 4.5 oz, one above and one below the core (vertically laminated bamboo). I also use 20 oz biaxial glass (+/- 22 degrees) as my bottom most layer and 20 oz triaxial (0, +/- 45 degrees) as my upper most reinforcements. I think the carbon adds "pop" to the skis.

-S
airhoag

Post by airhoag »

It should hold together when split lengthwise into six inch strips because it has the hot melt binder in the fill direction.
If it has that to hold the fibers in place then you should be okay. Mine didn't have that, and it caused problems.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

SHIF wrote:It should hold together when split lengthwise into six inch strips because it has the hot melt binder in the fill direction.

I use similar uni-carbon in my ski lay up, two layers of 4.5 oz, one above and one below the core (vertically laminated bamboo). I also use 20 oz biaxial glass (+/- 22 degrees) as my bottom most layer and 20 oz triaxial (0, +/- 45 degrees) as my upper most reinforcements. I think the carbon adds "pop" to the skis.

-S
whats the thicknesss of the core? This sounds like a retarded stiff ski.
Am I wrong here or does that sound like a grip of glass and carbon?

well maybe not, 8 oz carbon, one bi, and one tri, interesting. high end dood.
Kevin6q

Post by Kevin6q »

Spray a mist coat of spray adhesive (3m77) which ill hold the fibers together, stop fraying and not not screw up the epoxy. I do this when using uni for model airplane wings.
Three31

Post by Three31 »

If you are using a uni-axial layer you will want to have either a +/- theta biax on that same side or another triax layer for torsional stiffness.

I would be careful if you are spraying an adhesive on the fibers in ski applications - you could jeopardize the fiber to matrix bond strength.
Brian
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

just ordered some carbon from carbon sales . com great communication and good prices.